No. 6 Bears roll past Atkins

Staff Report

WINSTON-SALEM — Mount Airy’s No. 1 doubles team of Hunt Harrison and Emory Bray finally went down on Tuesday afternoon, but not the Northwest Conference leading Granite Bears as a whole, as they completed a season sweep of Atkins with an 8-1 road victory.

Mount Airy, ranked No. 6 in the state by the N.C. Tennis Coaches Association, improved to 13-1 overall and 5-0 in conference play. The Bears were never in any danger of falling to the Camels, as they swept the six singles matches with only only player losing more than three games. The doubles were tougher, with Atkins’ Dillon Jennings and Jared Solomon pulling off the upset in the top doubles match. Harrison and Bray lost the first three games of the match before scoring a break, but didn’t hold serve themselves until they were already down 1-6. They won the next four games, but then lost the last two to fall 8-5. The only other close match was the No. 3 doubles, which was the last match on the court. In that one, the Bears’ Owen Perkins and Cayden Hill had a 7-4 lead but couldn’t hold it, giving up a service break before the Camels’ Anthony Dixon and Alex Dixon held at 7-8 to force a tiebreaker. In the tiebreaker, Perkins and Hill won the first three, then lost three straight points to the Dixons before winning four of the last five to take the match.

There was no suspense at No. 2 doubles, where Hunter Eaton and Kaleb Morrison won the last four games to defeat Akshet Dixit and Arel D’Agostino 8-3.

The singles were non-competitive, perhaps surprisingly so. Bray, playing No. 2 singles, actually double-bagled Dixit, an experienced player. That win gave the Bears a 2-0 lead, as Harrison had already dispatched Dillon Jennings 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 singles.

Hill romped to a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Braxton Hawkins at No. 6 singles to make it 3-0, and Mount Airy increased the team tally to 4-0 when Morrison won the last 10 games of his No. 5 singles match against Alex Dixon. Dixon had actually broken him for a 2-2 tie in set one when the winning streak began. Perkins downed Anthony Dixon 6-2, 6-1 to assure the Bears of the team win. Eaton got a battle from D’Agostino at No. 3 singles. He won the first set easily, but then D’Agostino took a 4-0 lead in set two and appeared set to force a tiebreaker before Eaton righted himself and won six straight games for a 6-2, 6-4 victory.

The Bears will return to action today at home against Walkertown.

Staff Report


8:01 am |    
Hospital taps new CEO
6:36 am
Updated: 7:39 am. |    
Blaze engulfs downtown factory
comments powered by Disqus