Lady Bears down N. Stokes 7-2

Staff Report

North Stokes was a match for No. 1 Mount Airy at the top end of the lineup. The rest, not so much.

The Lady Vikings were able to earn victories over their hosts at both the No. 1 singles and doubles during Wednesday’s second meeting between the two schools, but that wasn’t nearly enough to prevent Mount Airy from earning its 21st victory of the season and move one step closer to an outright championship in the Northwest 1A Conference.

While North Stokes’ Brittney Brown took a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Elizabeth Marion in the No. 1 singles, the Lady Bears (21-1, 10-0 NW1A) swept the other five singles matches without losing more than five games in any of them. In fact, by the time Brown wrapped up her victory, the team match was already over, because all five of the other Mount Airy singles players had finished their victories.

In the doubles, the visitors prevailed again at No. 1, with Brown and Abby Williams teaming up for an 8-5 victory over Bailey Jackson and Meredith Marion, but the other two doubles weren’t close and the Lady Bears walked away with a 7-2 victory.

Mount Airy’s Maya Hicks was the first to complete her match, downing Morgan Rogers 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles. Hicks won the first five games of set one and completed the second set just as impressively, winning the match on a service break while ahead 5-2. Lisa Omuro gave the Lady Bears a 2-0 lead. She split the first four games of the No. 5 singles against Tessa Sprinkle, but then earned a service break and lost just one more game the rest of the match, prevailing 6-2, 6-1. Logan King finished off a 6-3, 6-2 win over Alyssa Collins at No. 3 for a 3-0 lead. King was broken on serve in the first game of the match, but then took control and scored multiple breaks on Collins, including the first game of the second set. Elizabeth Bray won the No. 6 singles easily over Brianna Lester, 6-2, 6-2, and then Bailey Jackson beat Abby Williams 6-2, 6-1 to lock up the team win.

Elizabeth Marion was unable to play in the doubles due to a recurring injury. Her sister Meredith took her place, and the last-minute change seemed to throw the pairing off their game, as Brown and Williams rolled to a 6-1 lead. Jackson and Marion then won four of the next six points, but the slow start meant that they had to settle for an 8-5 defeat. By that time, Hicks and Omuro had already hammered Sprinkle and Lester 8-1. The last match on the court was the No. 2 doubles, where King and Bray downed Collins and Rogers 8-4.

The Lady Bears hosted East Surry on Thursday in the final match of the regular season. They won that match 8-1, but a full report was not available at press time. It will appear in tomorrow’s issue. Mount Airy will claim a forfeit from Winston-Salem Prep on Saturday and get ready for postseason play.

Staff Report

comments powered by Disqus