Bears rout Atkins, secure No. 2 spot

By Hannah King - Sports Writer

WINSTON-SALEM — Mount Airy’s three double-digit scoring quarters helped earn the Granite Bears the last win of their conference regular season, 67-35 over the Atkins Camels.

The Camels were held to single digits in every quarter of Thursday’s contest.

Mount Airy jumped on the Camels early, with a 24-7 scoring edge in the first quarter, and never looked back.

The Bears won the jump, but there was no score on either side for practically the first two and a half minutes of action. Donavon Greene posted the first Bears points with a layup near the five-minute mark. Atkins’ Denard Williams evened the score soon after. Twenty seconds later, Greene was fouled on his drive to the hoop and scored two from the line, and Will Sparks had the same thing happen to him on the Bears’ next trip down. Then Atkins was called for goaltending on another Sparks’ shot. At the four-minute mark, Ryan Graham made his way to the line after collecting his first hoop and the Granite Bears were up by nine points. Graham fed the ball to Greene for two more, and 10 seconds later, the roles were reversed as Greene transferred the ball to Graham for another two. Donavon Greene finished the first off with 11 points, and then brother Gregory Greene registered on the score sheet as he made four from the free-throw line.

Within the first minute of the second quarter, Mount Airy added five more points, which prompted Atkins coach Marion Brim to call a time out. But Caleb Arrington swished a three-pointer and Graham a jumper. Sparks finished his first half with another two points. Harrison Joyce’s sole net also came from early in the second quarter. Arrington also claimed another shot in the mix, before Atkins scored six in a row of its own. Graham posted the next two points for Mount Airy after nearly two minutes of not scoring. Three minutes were left on the clock when Arrington was tripped up, but still managed to score the basket. Donavon Greene and Arrington finish with two each, and at the break, Mount Airy was in command with a 43-23 lead.

After an exchange of baskets that got Jackson Smith into the scoresheet for the first time, Mount Airy bolted through the third quarter with a 14-point unanswered run by the four-minute mark of the quarter. Atkins posted just four points in the quarter, a basket and two free throws that came with less than a minute left on the clock. Mason Corn also tallied a shot in the third, and after three quarters led 65-27.

Corn scored again in the fourth quarter, which was his team’s only basket of the period. Atkins posted eight additional points during the final eight minutes.

The Granite Bears advanced their win column to 10-2 in Northwest 1A play, and promoted their overall record to 19-5. The win secured outright second place in the conference for the team as they head into the conference tournament next week.

In the victory, Donavon Greene posted the team high with 18 points. Arrington was not too far behind with 13, while Sparks claimed 12 and Graham 10.

By Hannah King

Sports Writer

comments powered by Disqus