DOBSON — Two weeks after shifting around some principals, Surry County Schools has announced changes to its assistant principal roster.
The Surry County Board of Education announced the changes Friday. Those included one new principal as Kristin Blake was promoted to head of Shoals Elementary after serving as assistant principal of both Franklin and Dobson elementary schools. According to the school district, Blake came to the school system in 2013 with 10 years of experience in education.
Blake takes the place of Jared Jones who has moved to East Surry High School to take the place of Lorrie Sawyers who retired after 29 years.
Nine assistant principals received new administrative assignments. They are:
• Colby Beamer from Surry Central High to East Surry;
• Jonathan Frasher from East Surry to Surry Central;
• Carla Coble from East Surry to Central Middle;
• Kara Martin from Central Middle to Gentry Middle;
• Jenny Alyn Key from Gentry Middle to Cedar Ridge Elementary;
• Catherine Dollyhite from Cedar Ridge Elementary to a shared position at Copeland Elementary and Shoals Elementary;
• James Martin from a shared position between Flat Rock and Franklin elementary schools to a shared position between Flat Rock and Westfield;
• Lori Gammons from a shared position at Shoals Elementary and Westfield Elementary to Franklin Elementary;
• Matthew White from Meadowview Magnet Middle to Pilot Mountain Elementary.
“Creating the right administrative fit for each school is a top priority for our school system,” said Dr. Travis Reeves, school superintendent.
“It is essential that we match people who compliment each other to ensure all schools have a successful learning environment. As a school system, we take great pride in growing our school leaders by offering them a wide array of leadership opportunities and ongoing professional development that is focused on student achievement with a growth mindset. I look forward to working with all of these teams as they transition and lead their schools.”
Here are the previously announced principal spots:
• Jared Jones to East Surry;
• Amy Harris to Pilot Mountain Middle;
• Laura Whitaker to Westfield Elementary;
• Molly Anderson to Franklin Elementary;
• Jodi Southern to Rockford Elementary.
In December 2016, Surry County Schools announced that three of its employees were entering into leadership training program that would prepare them to become principals.
Two of them were high school teachers who have now completed training and are ready for the next step.
Shannon DuPlessis was an English teacher at North Surry. Matt Scott was a math teacher and award-winning baseball coach at Surry Central.
Surry County Schools said 20 slots had opened up in a program through UNC Greensboro called Principal Preparation for Excellence and Equity in Rural Schools.
Over a year and a half, the two teachers earned 42 college credit hours for a fully funded master’s degree in school administration. The preparation program provided the tuition for the full year of classes and salary replacement during a semester as an administrative intern.
DuPlessis interned at Surry Central and now will receive an assistant principal position at East Surry.
Scott interned at East Surry and now assumes the assistant principal position at Meadowview Magnet Middle.
In other personnel news, Regina Barbour, assistant principal at Copeland Elementary and former assistant principal at East Surry, was named the transition coordinator in the Exceptional Children’s Department.
Reach Jeff at 415-4692.