The Surry Arts Council recently awarded more than $2,500 in scholarships to area students planning to further their education in the arts.
Those receiving the scholarships, and a little bit about how they are using the awards, include:
• Linda Donnell is the Betty Lynn Scholar. A dancer and veteran dance teacher, Donnell is obtaining certification from the Isadora Dance Foundation in New York.
• Will Nichols and Abigail Lambert share the Jimmy Lowry Scholarship. Nichols is pursuing a Bachelors of Fine Arts in music performance at University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Lambert will be pursuing a degree in music education from Appalachian State University.
• The Sandy Beam Scholarship is shared by Caleb Gerber and Robert Parks. Gerber is pursuing a Bachelors of Fine Arts in acting at Western Carolina University. Parks will be starting at Catawba College and plans to earn a Bachelors of Fine Arts in musical theatre.
• Isaiah Collins, who is seeking a Bachelor of Fine Arts in music performance at University of North Carolina at Greensboro, is the Mildred Robertson Scholar.
• The Visual Arts Scholarship was awarded to Jane Ferry, who is pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts at University of North Carolina School of the Arts.
Funds for these scholarships come from endowments that are set up and managed by the North Carolina Community Foundation and the Winston-Salem Foundation. The Jimmy Lowry Scholarship Endowment is supported by the annual Jimmy Lowry Concert, which will be held at the Blackmon Amphitheatre on Friday, July 6, at 7:30 p.m.
The scholarship committee consisted of Henry Rowe, Kelly Merritt, John Adams, Patti Fulk, Matt Linville, Jennie Lowry, and Sylvia Lowry. Shelby Coleman and Antonia Cawley coordinated auditions for the Surry Arts Council. Applicants ranged from vocalists, visual artists, instrumentalists to dramatists.
In addition to these scholarships, $3,000 summer camp awards are made possible from the Kester Sink Endowment, John L. Gravitte, DDS, PA scholarships, and scholarships made available from the Amanda Fretwell fund. To inquire about a summer camp scholarship, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 336-786-7998.
For information regarding setting up an endowment or making contributions to existing endowments and scholarship funds, contact Antonia Cawley at 336-786-7998 or email@example.com.