Standoff ends peacefully in White Plains

Staff Report

A 23-hour standoff ended without violence in White Plains Monday night.

Surry County Sheriff Jimmy Combs said some of his officers went to a residence on Dover Church Road around 9 p.m. Sunday to serve papers for an involuntary commitment.

When the deputies attempted to carry out their duties, the unnamed male subject indicated he had a weapon and wanted to harm himself before barricading himself inside the residence, according to Combs.

Deputies secured the perimeter, and the Crisis Negotiating Team was deployed. Officers were in contact with the subject and were working to secure a peaceful resolution.

The standoff continued through the night.

Around 11 a.m. the Sheriff’s Office reached out to the Mount Airy Police Department for assistance. The MAPD Crisis Management Team arrived around 1 p.m. to relieve deputies some of whom had been standing watch on the perimeter for more than 15 hours.

Negotiations continued until about 8 p.m. when officer spotted the suspect through a window without his weapon. Officers were given a go and made entry to take the suspect into custody without incident.

“I am very thankful for this joint effort with the Mount Airy Police Department, Surry County Sheriff’s Office and Surry County Emergency Services to bring this to a peaceful and successful resolution,” Combs said late Monday night.

“The subject in question is being transported to Northern Hospital of Surry County to begin the process of getting him the help that he needs. I am proud of the work done by all of those involved especially the men and women of the Surry County Sheriff’s Office.”

This was a much different situation than an 11-hour standoff two weeks ago on Red Brush Road.

In that case, Mikle Eugene Dixon, 42, had barricaded himself in a mobile home where he was holding two family members hostage, according to statements from Combs at that time.

The sheriff’s office attempted negotiations for hours without being able to earn the release of the two family members. Then a deputy attempting to negotiate saw Dixon place one of the hostages at knife point.

With a hostage in imminent danger, agents from the State Bureau of Investigation entered the residence and fatally shot Dixon, according to an SBI press release.

Staff Report


2:03 pm
Updated: 3:16 pm. |    
Two area men missing
comments powered by Disqus