Summer projects continue at Mount Airy City Schools in preparation for the next school year.
Jason Dorsett, chief operations officer, gave the city Board of Education an update on projects at Tuesday’s board meeting.
• Delivery and installation of a new scoreboard at Wallace Shelton Stadium is on schedule for the start of August. The high school wanted time to train the athletic staffs and volunteers on the new equipment before fall sports start for football and soccer.
Dorsett noted that the first home football game is scheduled for Aug. 18, which is a week and a half before classes begin on Aug. 28.
The school district, the high school and the Mount Airy Youth Foundation are working together to plan a ceremony for the big reveal. Dorsett said a “thank you” montage is in the work for all those who made the scoreboard possible, with a special recognition at halftime of the football game.
• After financial support was voted upon by the county commissioners in June, the district is now accepting bids for resurfacing the high school tennis courts. Officials hope to get started on this in early August to minimize the impact on the girls’ tennis season.
• Another project out for bids is Phase 1 of the HVAC work at Tharrington Primary School. Dorsett said the school hopes to be replacing HVAC units in late September.
• After investigating, workers have determined how water is leaking into the back wall of the gym at the high school. The goal is to have this issue repaired and the wall repainted before school starts back.
Another water issue was tracked down in the Commons Area next to the gym. Engineers believe the drains aren’t large enough to handle rain coming off the flat areas of the roof during heavy downpours, according to Dorsett. He didn’t have a cost estimate yet on fixing this issue.
• On Aug. 10, Jones Intermediate School will host training for potential substitute teachers. This two-hour session, from 9-11 a.m., is required for new substitutes. For more information, contact Becky Parries at 786-8355.
• On the same day, from 10 a.m. to noon, Mount Airy Middle School will hold an orientation for incoming sixth-graders.
• The high school will also hold an orientation for incoming students. Freshmen are welcomed to attend Aug. 18 from 9 a.m. to noon.
• The four schools will all hold open house on Aug. 24. Tharrington will run from 3-6 p.m. Jones is set for 3-5 p.m. The middle schools is 4-7 p.m. And the high school is 5:30-7 p.m.
Reach Jeff at 415-4692.