• Offenses of resisting, obstructing or delaying a public officer and making a false report to a police station were filed early Monday against Caitlin Denise Newman, 20, of 974 Pauls Creek Road, Cana, Virginia, according to Mount Airy Police Department reports. Newman was unable to provide proof of her identity, arrest records indicate, and was ordered by a magistrate to be jailed until it was supplied.
In the meantime, Newman was listed as “Jane Doe,” and the arresting officer subsequently received a printout of her driver’s license history and a matching photograph. The magistrate’s order specified that Newman was to be released under a $1,000 bond once that occurred, and she is scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on July 20. Typically, a resisting charge can relate to problems with information provided to an officer, but no clear explanation was given regarding the alleged false report.
• In connection with the same traffic stop, of a Ford Explorer, violations of displaying a fictitious tag, driving while license revoked, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana paraphernalia were issued against Kenneth Melvin Leonard, 58, of 1249 Bear Trail, Cana. Leonard is to appear in District Court on Sept. 1.
• Brian Thomas Wilson, 28, of 123 London Lane, was served with an outstanding warrant for a littering violation after being encountered during a license checkpoint early Monday on Park Drive at Carter Street. It had been issued in the city on June 21, with no details listed. Wilson was released under a $1,000 secured bond to be in court on Aug. 8.
• An incident involving $500 in damage to personal property occurred on June 15 on Patrol Station Road, where a known suspect is said to have damaged the left-rear quarter panel of a Honda Accord owned by Andrea Lynn Farley of South Depot Street, Pilot Mountain.
• Jerleane Poindexter Bowman, 63, of 154 Dalsher Ave., Pilot Mountain, turned herself in at the police station on an outstanding warrant for a larceny violation on June 13. It had been issued on March 20, with no other details listed. Bowman is scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on July 11.