A local man reported the theft of about 13,500 rounds of firearm ammunition from his home on East Pine Street.
Bobby Lynn Doby Jr. reported the theft to the Surry County Sheriff’s Office on March 17, reporting that more than $11,000 worth of ammunition had been taken from his residence.
Reported taken by an unknown suspect were 2,000 rounds of 9 mm ammo valued at $750, 2,000 rounds of .223-caliber ammo valued at $4,300, 1,500 rounds of .40-caliber ammo va;ied at $1,500, 2,000 rounds of 5.56 mm ammo with a value of $4,300, 5,000 rounds of .22-caliber ammo valued at $125 and 1,000 rounds of .25-caliber ammo with a value of $280. That comes to a total value of $11,255.
In other incidents reported to the sheriff’s office:
• Glenda Mae Hanks, of Crestfall Lane, Elkin, reported on Saturday that someone had broken into her vehicle that evening and stolen her purse. Taken was a $100 Guess purse, $110 in cash, a pair of prescription glasses valued at $400, a Walmart gift card, a Harley Davidson gift card and a U.S. Bank card.
• Deputies recovered a stolen car at a general store in Beulah on Saturday. A 1999 Chevrolet Lumina valued at $3,000 was recovered at Oak Grove Market, 5104 W. Pine St. The owner of the car is listed as Bobby Lane Mills, Mountain View Road, Mount Airy.
• Authorities also recovered a stolen vehicle taken off the lot of a body shop. On March 24, CT and Sons Automotive reported that a 2005 Ford Mustang GT valued at $7,000 was stolen from the shop on White Pines Country Club Road. The report doesn’t say where the car was found.
• Nearby on White Pines Country Club Road, an unknown suspect broke into a residence and stole three items. Darryl Marshall Vaughan, of Woodlawn, Virginia, reported that a 16-foot extension ladder with a $119 value, a Hitachi miter saw valued at $216 and LED lights and a stand with a value of $100 were taken from the residence between March 22-24.
• Arthur Ray Edwards, of Lynnewood Drive, Mount Airy, reported that someone broke into his camper and stole a bass guitar with a $150 value and a car battery valued at $85. The larceny occurred between March 23-24. The offender was listed as a known 26-year-old male. The report states the case is closed with prosecution declined.
• Paul David Chilton, of Gulfstream Lane, Pilot Mountain, reported a larceny at his residence on March 19. Taken was a $400 Stihl chainsaw by a known 19-year-old male. The report says the case was closed by an arrest.
• Jesse Lynn McCrary, of Seldom Rest Lane, Mount Airy, reported a larceny at the residence between March 10-18. Taken by an unknown suspect were a wallet with driver’s license, credit card and $250 in cash; two Echo chainsaws valued at $300; two air compressors valued at $200; and two pistols valued at $600.
• Allen George Lewis, of Embrace Lane, Mount Airy, reported a larceny and obtaining property by false pretense at the residence between March 11-18. Taken from the location was a Troybilt lawn tractor valued at $1,500 by a known 25-year-old male. The case was closed with prosecution declined.
• German Martinez, of Deerfield Lane, Mount Airy, reported a larceny on Reeves Mill Road between March 17-18. Taken from the location was a Generac generator valued at $500 by an unknown suspect.
• Mitchell Ray Dalton, Winston-Salem, reported a Kubota tractor was damaged on Old Farm Trail in Pilot Mountain sometime over the winter. He said a 39-year-old male had poured sugar into the gas tank of the 5100 model valued at $8,000. The case is still under investigation.
• Seth James Key, of Zephyr Road, Dobson, reported a breaking and entering and larceny at the residence between March 16-18. Taken were several tools including a circular saw, impact driver drill set, Porter-Cable air compressor, Bostitch nail gun, Rockwell multi-tool, extension cord and miscellaneous hand tools. The total value of the items taken was $1,280.
— — —
The Sheriff’s office released the following arrest reports this week.
• Matthew Doyle Burke, 26, of Zephyr Road, Elkin, was arrested last week on a charge of non-support to Stephanie Sawyers. He was placed under a $7,861 bond. While in custody, the department added charges March 24 of driving while license revoked (not impaired) and aiding and abetting someone driving while impaired. He was given an additional $300 cash bond and returned to the detention center. He has court dates of April 5 and May 25.
• Stephen Kilgore Goldsmith Jr., 32, of Crosswinds Court, Mount Airy, was arrested March 24 for assault on a female, injury to personal property, and interfering with emergency communications. He was placed under a $500 secured bond with a May 23 court date.
• Trey Austin Marshall, 24, of Belton Road, Mount Airy, was arrested Saturday on probation violations. He was placed under a $5,000 secured bond and was expected to be in court this past week.
• Randy Dean Stewart Jr., 26, of Crimson Leaf Lane, Mount Airy, was arrested Tuesday on three counts of possession of a controlled substance, with the warrant dated Feb. 8. He was placed under a $3,000 secured bond with an April 5 court date.
• Jonathan Patrick Wendel, 29, of Thompson Lane, Pilot Mountain, was arrested Wednesday for communicating a threat and assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He was placed under a $5,000 secured bond with a May 22 court date.