Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
13 Bones, 502 S. Andy Griffith Pkway., Mount Airy. Inspected March 29, score 95.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P — The can opener had a build-up on the blade that looked as if it had been there for longer than just this morning. The can opener must be cleaned and sanitized at least once every 4 hours when in use. Also, the slicer was not cleaned properly after using. There was still some tomato seeds on the underside of the slicer and towel debris left on it after cleaning. A couple of dirty utensils were found placed up ready for use again. Ensure all dishes are properly cleaned after washing. If not, rewash them before placing them up to be used again. These items were corrected by washing, rinsing, and sanitizing the can opener, slicer, and utensils.
2) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C — Allow all dishes to air-dry completely before nesting. This was seen in the stainless pan storage area along the back corridor.
3) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C — The grill top is becoming pitted and needs to be replaced. Repairing is acceptable, if possible and if it can be done without the potential for chemical or physical contamination. Sand and paint the rusty shelf under the bun grill.
4) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean all nonfood contact surfaces (top of equipment, inside the dressing cooler (and on door tracks), inside the fryer cabinets, inside the wine/beer cooler, etc.).
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C — Replace the broken filter in the hood system (be sure there are no openings between the filters, as well). Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Sweep the floor in the walk-in freezer. Clean the floor in the walk-in cooler (dressing cooler). Clean the wall behind the 3-compartment sink. Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Keep all storage at least 6 inches off of the floor. Grout is eroding from between floor tiles in some areas. Regrout where needed. Remove the caulk from behind the 3-compartment sink and reapply—the caulk had become moldy. Replace the missing floor tile leading out the back door.
Cody Creek Banquet Hall, 233 Old Depot Lane, Dobson. Inspected March 31, score 98.5. Violations: 10 Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: 1) Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – Two ice scoops at the bar were stored in dirty containers today. Keep the ice scoops stored in clean and sanitized containers.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the inside of cabinets, the handwashing sink, outside of the microwave and surfaces of refrigeration where food debris is present.
3) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – Clean the floors between and under large pieces of equipment. and along the edge of the walls. Clean the floor under the deep fryers. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair the floor at the dish machine where the paint has chipped up and the cement is exposed.
Dunmore Plantation institutional food service, 515 W. Kapp St., Dobson. Inspected March 31, score 96.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – The sanitizer in the wiping cloth bucket tested below 50ppm chlorine today. Keep all sanitizer prepared to 50-200ppm chlorine. The wiping cloth bucket was re-made to correct the violation.
2) Thermometers provided and accurate: Food Temperature Measuring Devices – PF – A thermometer with a suitable small diameter probe must be available to take temperatures on small foods produced in the establishment. I will return in 10 days to ensure that the small diameter probe thermometer is available.
3) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – Two wiping cloths were found improperly stored today. All cloths used to wipe down equipment or food contact surfaces must be kept submerged in a bucket of sanitizer between uses.
4) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C – Repair the three door reach in cooler that is leaking from the drain pan. Food Equipment, Certification and Classification – C – Remove the two domestic crock pots from the kitchen. All equipment must be designed for use in a food service establishment.
East Coast Wings, 692 S. Andy Griffith Pkwy, Mount Airy. Inspected March 28, score 95. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – The slicer was cleaned and in storage with build-up on the food contact surfaces today. Keep all food contact surfaces clean to sight and touch. The slicer was cleaned and sanitized to correct the violation.
2) Proper cold holding temperatures: Potentially Hazardous Food (Time/Temperature Control for Safety Food), Hot and Cold Holding – P – The prep unit and grill cabinet had a temperature above 45 degrees F. on potentially hazardous foods. Keep all potentially hazardous foods at or below 45 degrees F. when holding them cold. Temperature abused items were voluntarily thrown away and other foods were iced down to correct the violation. I will return in 10 days to ensure that the prep unit is maintaining temperatures at or below 45 degrees F.
3) Thermometers provided and accurate: Temperature Measuring Devices-Functionality – PF – (REPEAT) A thermomter is needed in the prep unit. All refrigeration devices are required to have an air thermomter present inside of the unit. I will return in 10 days to ensure that a thermometer is provided in the prep unit.
4) Contamination prevented during food preparation, storage and display: Food Storage-Preventing Contamination from the Premises – C – Breader and batter mix was found in the dry storage area in open bags today. Keep all dry foods in a sealed container or otherwise protected while in storage.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair the wall near the dish machien where the baseboard is damaged. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Clean the floor under and behind the deep fryers.