Elkin High School lunch room, 334 Elk Spur St., Elkin. Inspected Sept. 3, score 98. Violations: 1) Handwashing sinks, supplied and accessible 5-204.11 Handwashing Sinks-Location and Placement – PF — Handwashing Sinks states the following: “A HANDWASHING SINK shall be located: (A) To allow convenient use by EMPLOYEES in FOOD preparation, FOOD dispensing, and WAREWASHING areas; and (B) In, or immediately adjacent to, toilet rooms.”—The closest handwash sink to the employee toilet room is not in or adjacent to the toilet room. I highly recommend placing a handwash sink in or adjacent to the toilet room to meet the new code. The employees have demonstrated a very good hand hygiene policy that will suffice until then. 6-301.12 Hand Drying Provision – PF — There were no paper towels in the paper towel dispenser at the handwash station just outside of the walk-in cooler. Keep paper towels in all paper towel dispensers.
2) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C — A couple of wet wiping cloths were stored on a food prep surface today. Make sure wiping cloths are kept in a container of approved sanitizer between uses, not on fod prep surfaces.
3) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Sand and paint any chipping areas on the walls and wall shelves in the dining room (senior dining, serving line, etc.). Fill any holes in the walls (above ice machine, office, etc.) with caulk/silicone, or something that could be considered easily cleanable. There was some significant improvement in this violation.
Fleshtones tattoo artists, 12353 Main St., Mount Airy. Inspected Sept. 11, no violations.
Food Lion #2103 Deli, 600 E. Atkins St., Dobson. Inspected Sept. 4, score 97.5. Violations: 1) Contamination prevented during food preparation, storage and display: Food Storage-Preventing Contamination from the Premises – C — Do not store bread racks directly beside of handwash sinks. The splash from handwash sinks could contaminate the bread or the racks that the bread sits upon. A couple of containers of food were in the floor in the walk-in freezer. Keep containers of food off of the floor. Opened containers of dry foods must be stored in an approved container with a tight-fitting lid (sugar and flour). The rack that stores the bread after baking must be kept properly covered to prevent contamination from dust, debris, and flies. The plastic rack covers are acceptable.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean the overhead racks (over the 3-compaertment sink). Wipe shelving, czounters, tables, and other equipment. Remove stickers from tops of counters. Clean the bunkers/racks in the walk-in cooler. Clean the top of the rotisserie oven.
3) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C — Clean the handwash sink that is located just outside of the walk-in freezer.
4) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Keep all storage at least 6 inches off of the floor to facilitate cleaning (storage room). Place a strainer in the floor sink under the food prep sink. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floors underneath equipment. Clean the wall at the three-compartment sink area. Clean the floor under the three-compartment sink , removing the fly tubes. Clean the wall in the walk-in cooler. Clean the floor in the walk-in freezer. Clean the floor in the storage room.
Gilmer St. ARC residential care facility, 145 N. Gilmer St., Mount Airy. Inspected Sept. 4. Violations: 1) Toilet: handwashing: laundry and bathing facilities Clean the shower heads in bathroom one and two where mold build-up has formed.
2) Beds: linen: furniture Repair the box springs where the fabric is torn in the front left room. Clean the blinds in the back right room where dust build-up has formed.
Little Richards BBQ of Mount Airy, 455 Frederick St., Mount Airy. Inspected Sept. 1, score 97.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – The sanitizer tested below 50ppm chlorine in the wiping cloth bucket. Sanitizer must be prepared between 50 and 200ppm chlorine. Thel sanitizer was re-made to correct the violation.
2) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C – Replace the Missing handle on the slicer. Replace or repair the shelving in the walk in freezer that is rusting. Cutting Surfaces – C – Replace the cutting boards that have deep cuts in them and are no longer easy to clean. The cutting boards were replaced immediately. Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C – Replace the whisk that is damaged.
Meadowview Middle School lunch room, 846 McKinney Rd., Mount Airy. Inspected Aug. 31, score 99. Violations: 1) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled 4-903.11 (A), (B) and (D) Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – The ice scoop container had build-up in the bottom of it today. Keep the ice scoop container clean and sanitized. The ice scoop was clean and sanitized to correct the violation. 4-901.11 Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C – A cutting board and plastic container were found wet nested today. Allow all containers and food contact surfaces to air dry before stacking them. The items were separated to dry to correct the violation.
2) Warewashing facilities: installed, maintained and used; test strips: Manual Warewashing Equipment, Wash Solution Temperature – PF – The wash temperature was 107 degrees F. in the three compartment sink today. Wash water should be kept at 110 degrees F. in the three compartment sink. The wash water was drained and refreshed to correct the violation.
Mount Airy High School, 1011 S. South St. Inspected Sept. 10, score 92.5. Violations: 1) Floors: walls: and ceilings: Clean the floor behind the washer in the girl’s locker room. The carpet in the visitor’s locker room is in bad repair. Sand and paint the chipping walls where needed (seen in, but not limited to: field house dressing area, field house weight room, 1st hall outside of women’s restroom, 2nd hall hallway, etc.). Clean the boards on the walls where needed (Room C 301, room C 303, room C 305, room C 307). Caulk behind the handwash sink in the girl’s restroom in the science hall where the sink has separated from the wall). Clean the wet toilet paper from the wall in the vocational men’s restroom. Repair the floor where damaged (boy’s locker room, junior high locker room). Repair the broken base tile where needed (junior high boy’s restroom downstairs, junior high locker room). Sweep the floor in the training room (field house).
2) Storage spaces Keep all storage at least 15 inches off of the floor (seen in, but not limited to: 3rd hall custodian closet, C 307 storage room, 1st hall storage room, 1st hall custodian closet, 2nd hall storage room, locker room custodian closet, etc.).
3) Lighting and ventilation: Clean dusty vents where needed (seen in, but not limited to: junior high women’s restroom, junior high men’s restroom, science hall men’s restroom). Clean light fixtures where needed (seen in, but not limited to: vocational building women’s restroom). Clean blinds where needed (seen in, but not limited to: Room C 303, room C 305, room C 307, 2nd hall women’s restroom). Clean the top of the TV in the media center.
4) Dressing rooms and showers: Repair the toilet that is not flushing in the women’s locker room. Repair the leaky toilet in the visitor’s field house. Clean the handwash sinks in the field house. Clean the urinals in the boy’s locker room. Repair the urinal that is not flushing in the boy’s locker room. Clean the tops of the lockers in the women’s locker room and men’s locker room.
5) Solid waste disposal: Replace the trash cans that are damaged at the bottom and potentially allowing leaks. There are several outside of the cafeteria.