Volunteer firefighters in Surry County responded to fires at two mobile homes during the weekend, one deemed “suspicious” and the other resulting from trash burning getting out of hand.
Both were reported Saturday in different areas of the county.
The first occurred at the site of a mobile home park on Champion Lane in the Westfield community.
Flames had engulfed one structure by the time firefighters reached the scene. “The mobile home was about burned down,” Westfield Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jeff Inman said. “It was fully involved.”
Fortunately, the structure — located at a site off Tom Cook Road traditionally known as Wood’s Trailer Park — was unoccupied at the time.
“There wasn’t any power to it,” Inman said, although there was some speculation from bystanders at the scene that people recently had been spending the night there.
The mobile home that burned is among structures at the site which are said to be undergoing condemnation proceedings by the county government. Saturday’s fire was labeled “suspicious” by Inman.
“There was damage to one of the mobile homes behind it,” he said of a neighboring property on Champion Lane impacted by the fire. “It melted the plastic shutters off that mobile home.”
The site on Champion Lane is owned by Nexhome Inc. in White Plains.
No monetary figure was available for the loss. More than 30 firefighters responded, including members of the Westfield and Bannertown volunteer departments, with the Pilot Knob unit providing standby assistance.
No further information was available Monday from the Surry County Fire Marshal’s Office.
Fire Displaces Pair
Later Saturday, a mother and daughter were displaced by a blaze at another mobile home.
It was reported between 2 and 3 p.m. at 220 Bow Tie Lane in Lowgap.
That incident apparently was sparked by trash burning that was taking place in the back yard, said Surry Fire Marshal Doug Jones, which spread to the home and set a deck ablaze.
“When we got there, the back porch was on fire,” said Chris Galyean, chief of the Pine Ridge Volunteer Fire Department. “And it burned all the electrical panels.” Some interior damage also occurred to the main part of the structure.
“It got knocked down in about 10 to 15 minutes, but we stayed on the scene approximately two hours,” Galyean said of the fire.
Annette Mabe and her daughter, Katie N. Tate, were renting the home owned by Randy Hawks. The two were displaced due to the electrical panels being burned and interrupting power, although Jones said minor structural damage occurred overall.
Mabe and Tate received temporary shelter and food assistance from the Surry County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Pine Ridge fire personnel were assisted by members of the Skull Camp Volunteer Fire Department, with the Franklin unit standing by.
Reach Tom Joyce at 719-1924 or email@example.com.