Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Brown Mountain Baptist Church, Westfield, will have a chicken stew Saturday from 5 to 8 p.m. Cost is $8 for two bowls of stew, dessert and drink. Carry-out stew will be available. The proceeds benefit building a church playground for the children.
• Salem United Methodist Church on Wards Gap Road in Mount Airy will have a country ham supper Saturday from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. The menu includes country ham, baked apples, stewed potatoes, cole slaw, gravy, roll, drink and dessert. The cost is $7 for adults, $4 for children, with proceeds to benefit the church’s general fund.
• Bannertown Baptist Church’s shoebox collection center will be open Monday through Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m., Nov. 16 from 1 to 6 p.m., Nov. 17 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Nov. 18 from 1 to 5 p.m. and Nov. 19 from 8 to 10 a.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5407 or Ronnie Simpson at 789-2505.
• Central United Methodist Church will have its annual harvest bake sale and luncheon Wednesday at 11 a.m. The luncheon will begin at 11:30 a.m. with a $7 ticket, which can be purchased in advance in the church office. The luncheon menu includes hot chicken salad, cranberry apple congealed salad, vegetable pasta salad, roll and pumpkin cake and drinks. Tickets may be purchased at the door for $1 for a drawing for a signed print of “Cross Creek in Snow” by the late Pat Woltz.
• Whitaker’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 751 Whitaker Chapel Road, Pilot Mountain, will have its annual fall bazaar Nov. 17 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Breakfast will include ham and sausage biscuits, gravy and biscuits, cake slices, fresh homemade apple pies, cookies, coffee, juice and sodas. For sale will be a variety of canned fresh vegetables, apple butter, fruit, jelly and jams, green beans, pickles, relish, chow-chow, vegetable soup, mixed greens, homemade bread, bagged pecan pieces, sausage balls and more. There will be a bake sale as well as crafts, plants, books and yard sale items.
• Maple Grove United Methodist Church, Maple Grove Church Road, Mount Airy, will have its annual dine-in or drive-through ground steak supper Nov. 20 from 4:30 to 7 p.m. The meal includes ground steak, slaw, braised potatoes, apple pie and roll for $6. Raffle tickets will be available for a “Thanksgiving Bounty Basket.” Proceeds benefit the community outreach hardship fund.
• The first ever Surry Youth Ablaze is scheduled Saturday from noon to 9 p.m. at North Surry High School gym, 2440 W. Pine St., Mount Airy, with free admission. To be featured are Radiate Christ Band, Mercy Heart, TripSeven, Greggory Peeples, Richard Cavey, Tremayne Blair, HTSOS (His Scars to our Scars) and Decyfer Downs T.J. Harris. Local groups include drama teams of Sanctified from Genesis Church and Generation HOPE from Lighthouse, and speakers will be Jeff Bowman from Genesis Church and Dwaine Willard of Living Waters. For more information, call or text 710-9425 or 756-1425.
• Chestnut Grove P.P. Baptist Church will honor the second anniversary of pastor Dr. Jeffrey Gravely Sunday at 3 p.m. A lunch will be served at 2 p.m. in the church fellowship hall. Guest speaker will be Dr. Michael Penn.
• Grace Baptist Church, 209 London Lane, Mount Airy, will have revival Sunday through Wednesday featuring Bro. Don Ball. Services will be Sunday at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Monday through Wednesday at 7 p.m. For more information, call Pastor Jerry Pardue at 374-2873.
• New Life Baptist Church, 411 New Life Church Road, will have revival Sunday through Wednesday starting at 7 p.m. The Rev. Larry Stone, pastor of Anchored in Jesus Baptist Church, will be the guest speaker. There will be special singing each service.
• The Shoals Community Revival will be held Sunday through next Friday at 7 p.m. at the Shoals Volunteer Fire Department. Speakers will be the Rev. Darrell Scott Sunday through Tuesday and the Rev. Jeremy Troxler Wednesday through Friday. Special music will feature the Shoals Community Choir. Child care will be available for children through second grade. The revival is sponsored by Fairview United Methodist Church, Faith Baptist Church, Pilot View United Methodist Church, Pinnacle View Baptist Church, Shoals Baptist Church and Shoals United Methodist Church. For more information, call 325-2498.
• A youth revival is planned at Solid Rock Baptist Church, 680 Fish Lake Road, Cana, Va., Monday through next Friday at 7 p.m. with preacher Bro. Zack Crissman. There will be special singing each night. On Friday at 5 p.m., there will be pizza, hot dog, dessert and drinks served. For more information, call 276-755-3847.
• The Community Church will have revival featuring Bro. Ben Webb Wednesday through Nov. 18 with times of 7 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and 6 p.m. Sunday. There will be singing each service. For more information or a ride, call Pastor Ray Hutson at 374-5323.
• “The Love of God at Christmas” musical drama under the direction of Connie Bishop will be held at Mountain View Pentecostal Holiness Church, 497 Hatchers Chapel Road, Claudville, Va., Dec. 16 at 6 p.m. Refreshments will follow the program. For more information, call Connie Bishop at 276-694-6895, Golden Epperson at 276-251-5874, Charles Martin at 786-2995 or Leon Hooker at 351-2744.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email email@example.com.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The coffeehouse offers a free dinner each Friday at 5 p.m. by Maranatha Homeless Outreach. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Nursery is available.
• Central United Methodist Church, 1909 N. Main St., Mount Airy, has Sunday services with the Rev. James Pyatt with early morning worship at 9 a.m., adult gathering at 9:45 a.m., Sunday school for children, youth and adults at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. A nursery is available.
• The Family Worship Center, 298 Athey Simmons Road, Mount Airy, has Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call 368-9646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church will resume Wednesday evening activities on Aug. 15 with a fellowship meal at 5:45 p.m., youth and children activities at 6:30 p.m. and adult classes at 6:30 p.m. The clothes closet is open from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Call 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Flat Rock Presbyterian Church, N.C. 103 and Quarry Trail, has Sunday school every Sunday at 10 a.m. followed by traditional worship service at 11 a.m. Nursery is provided for both.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
• Flat Rock Baptist Church will host a free Community Thanksgiving Feast on Saturday, Nov. 14 from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-7661.
• First Baptist Church of Mount Airy will deliver Thanksgiving meals to the needy in the area on Wednesday, Nov. 21. Each meal will feed four to five people, and the church is accepting donations to help pay for the program and volunteers to help with the work. To volunteer, donate, or request more information call 786-5185.