Mount Airy Fire Department units responded to a structure fire in the building that houses the Salvation Army Family Store and Professional Rental Services on Fredrick Street after 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
According to Mount Airy Fire Department Chief Zane Poindexter, flames and smoke were visible when units arrived on the scene. No one was hurt in connection with the fire that appears to have started from a professional cleaning machine that produces heat. Poindexter said the machine had malfunctioned and overheated, causing the fire.
Persons were inside the store at the time but were evacuated and the sprinkler system did not activate. The firefighters used a ladder truck to access the roof and run a water line from above and ran another water line from below to contain the fire to its point of origin.
Poindexter indicated that the machine was owned by Professional Rental Services and is valued at $140,000.