• An investigation of shots being fired at a city residence this week led to a Mount Airy man being charged with driving while impaired and having an open container of alcohol, according to police department reports. Adrian Tyler West, a 17-year-old resident of Peacehaven Circle, reported Monday afternoon that someone had fired a handgun into the ground toward him. This is said to have occurred at the home of Jimmy Gregory “Wolfman” Pike Sr. at 112 Westwood Drive-B.
At one point, Pike, 45, approached investigating officers in his car and an open container of alcohol was noticed in the 1996 Toyota Camry, police records state. He also allegedly performed poorly on subsequent field-sobriety tests and later was found to have a blood-alcohol content of .14 percent. Pike was released on a written promise to appear in Surry District Court on Aug. 7. There was no indication of any charges being filed regarding the shooting.
• Deniese Zulema Lara, 18, of 138 Mexico Way, Dobson, was cited for larceny Tuesday after allegedly concealing merchandise valued at $27 at Walmart, including medication and bug repellent, and leaving the store without paying. Lara is to be in District Court on Aug. 21.
• Michael Ray Hicks of Lee Roy Hicks Trail reported Tuesday that $20 was stolen from his wallet at the Sheetz store on U.S. 601 by an unknown suspect.
• Money also was reported stolen Tuesday from the purse of Karen Lynn Davis, a State Street resident, while she was at Waffle House. A known female allegedly took about $30.
• Chadwick Armarr Shuff, 34, of 640 S. South St., was arrested Tuesday on an alleged child-support violation issued on Feb. 6 and also served with a criminal summons for allowing a dog to run at large in violation of a city ordinance which was filed Tuesday. Shuff was confined in the Surry County Jail with no bond figure listed and is to be in District Court on Aug. 15.
• A case involving electronic food and nutrition benefits fraud was reported Monday, in which an unknown individual used a stolen EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card to obtain food items at Walmart. The victim of the crime is Julie Kristen Byrd of Kernersville, with no figure given for the loss.
• Jill McHone Rogers, 32, of 1149 Forest Road, Westfield, is facing violations of inhaling toxic vapors and possession of a toxic substance after a Monday evening incident at Walmart, where she allegedly was found in a restroom stall inhaling a canned-air dust-removal product. Rogers’ District Court appearance is set for Aug. 16.