SPARTA — The Alleghany County Fiddlers Convention drew 37 bands and 219 individual contestants Friday and Saturday at the Higgins Agricultural Fairgrounds. The event is sponsored by the Sparta-Alleghany Volunteer Fire Department and Alleghany Fairgrounds Inc., nonprofit organizations.
Several first place winners were from the Surry County area, including DJ Crew and the Old South of Mount Airy in the bluegrass band category; Slate Mountain Ramblers of Mount Airy in the old-time band category; Nick McMillan of Mount Airy in the old-time fiddle category; Marsha Todd of Mount Airy in the old-time banjo category; and Mary Claire Hooper of Elkin in the junior dance category.
A full listing of winners follows, beginning with first place in each category.
• Bluegrass band: DJ Crew and the Old South of Mount Airy; Destination Bluegrass Band of Mocksville; Sons of the South of Troutman; Adam McPeak and Mountain Thunder of Max Meadows, Va.; Loose Ends of Cana, Va.
• Old-time band: Slate Mountain Ramblers of Mount Airy; Back-Step of Mount Airy; Hard Cider of Independence, Va.; Tune Town of Marion, Va.; Round Peak Ramblers of Mount Airy.
• Bluegrass fiddle: Debbie Gitlin of Walkertown; Nathan Aldridge of Graham; John Hofmann of Thomasville; Spencer Strickland of Lambsburg, Va.; Daniel Greeson of Jamestown.
• Old-time fiddle: Nick McMillan of Mount Airy; Chris Testerman of Troutdale, Va.; Richard Bowman of Mount Airy; Erika Godfrey Testerman of Troutdale, Va.; Emily Phillips of Hillsville, Va.
• Bluegrass banjo: Steve Lewis of West Jefferson; Steve Chrisley of Wytheville, Va.; Larry Richie of Mocksville; Casey McPherson of Stuart, Va.; Gary Webb of Max Meadows, Va.
• Old-time banjo: Marsha Todd of Mount Airy; Jared Boyd of Laurel Fork, Va.; Ken Inoue of Statesville; Robert Gabb of Winston-Salem; Miguel Villarruel of Glade Valley.
• Autoharp: Mary Umbarger of Harmony; JoAnn Redd of Galax, Va.; Virgil Adams of Fries, Va.; Penny Kilby of Mouth of Wilson, Va.; Vickie Boyd of Laurel Fork, Va.
• Dulcimer: John Rennick of Charlotte; Debbie Toney of Ellenboro; Dick Lamb of Keezletown, Va.; Tim Thornton of Shawsville, Va.; Alan Darveaux of Morganton.
• Dobro: Dalton Cranford of Statesville; Robert Ellis of Mocksville; Roger Weatherman of Ivanhoe, Va.; Wayne Holt of Saluda, Va.; Danny Hargis of Huntersville.
• Vocal: June Weatherman of Ivanhoe, Va.; Tommy Nichols of Mount Airy; Keith Souther of Mocksville; Paula Dellenback of Ararat, Va.; Susan Ashe of Lowgap.
• Harmonica: Glenn Zuhlke of Galax, Va.; Milton Scott of Thurmond; Paul Hiatt of High Point; Wayne Childress of High Point.
• Mandolin: Adam McPeak of Max Meadows, Va.; Ashton Blaylock of Bristol, Tenn.; Connor Lambert of Troutman; Terry Bullin of Elkin; Rodney Hodges of Galax, Va.
• Guitar: Steve Kilby of Mouth of Wilson, Va.; Will Jones of Cana, Va.; Wayne Dye of Cleveland, Va.; Asa Gravley of Hillsville, Va.; Glenn Craver of Winston-Salem.
• Bass: David Chrisley of Wytheville, Va.; Brandon Holder of Huntsville, Ala.; Loyd Richardson of Warrensville; Scott Gentry of Roaring River; Michael Motley of Kernersville.
• Junior band: Elk Creek Mud Puppies of Sparta; Private Property of Ennice; Organized Chaos of Linwood; Spartans of Laurel Springs.
• Junior fiddle: Tori Jones of Linwood; Kitty Amaral of Elk Creek, Va.; Kayleigh Stills of Asheboro.
• Junior Banjo: Ben Huysman of Sparta; Madison Shepherd of Jefferson; Randall Ford of Cleveland.
• Junior guitar: Jacob Greer of Todd; Emily Long of Jefferson; Tony Hicks of Laurel Fork, Va.
• Junior Mandolin: Austin Tate of Marion, Va.; Vance Lemonds of Charlotte.
• Junior bass: Karissa Hayden of Hillsville, Va.; Katie Jones of Linwood.
• Senior dance: Cherie Compton of Ferrum, Va.; Marsha Todd of Mount Airy; Vickie Boyd of Laurel Fork, Va.; Cody Jackson of Austinville, Va.; Ben Harmon of Bassett, Va.
• Junior dance (age 9 to 16): Mary-Claire Hooper of Elkin; Cassidy Chapman of Laurel Springs; Matthew Baumgardner of Galax, Va.; Kitty Amaral of Elk Creek, Va.; Ruth Shumway of Charlotte.
• Children’s dance (age 8 and younger, everybody gets a ribbon): Elli Jones of Linwood; Caleb Broom of Lexington; Megan Clayton of Germanton.