• A Mount Airy man is facing a felony drug violation after approaching officers to converse early Thursday with a plastic bag of cocaine visible from his pocket, according to Mount Airy Police Department reports. Gerald Landes Travis, 50, of 146 Sable Ave., was encountered by police during a suspicious-person investigation at Circle K on U.S. 601 about 1:15 a.m. After Travis voluntarily approached officers, they noticed a plastic baggie hanging from the right-side watch pocket of his shorts. He was found to have cocaine and charged with possessing it along with drug paraphernalia and released on a $1,000 unsecured bond, pending a Sept. 11 Surry District Court appearance.
• Amanda Jo Brown, 33, of 1220 Newsome St., was cited for larceny Wednesday after allegedly taking cosmetic items and lighters from Walmart which were valued at about $30. Brown is to be in District Court on Aug. 21.
• Alfonso Sanchez Taylor, 27, whose address was not listed, was arrested as a fugitive from justice Wednesday after a suspicious-person investigation at Shell Rapid Lube on Frederick Street. When police arrived, Taylor fled to the rear of the business before being apprehended. The jurisdiction from which Taylor is a fugitive was not listed. He was jailed under a $30,000 secured bond.
During the same incident, Rebecca Ann Smith, 30, of 296 Rick Road, was taken into custody for running from police after being ordered to stop. They subsequently discovered an outstanding order for arrest for Smith for allegedly failing to appear in court in January 2010. Smith, who also was charged with resisting, obstructing or delaying a public officer for fleeing on Wednesday, was confined in the county jail under a $7,000 secured bond. Both Taylor and Smith are to be in Surry District Court on Aug. 29.
• Evelyn Joy Serena, 57, of 1767 Fancy Gap Road, was cited Tuesday night for allowing a dog to run freely after hours of darkness. The case stems from a police investigation of an aggressive pit bull. Serena was instructed to keep the animal inside, but allowed it to come outside and it charged aggressively toward Officer B.W. Robertson. The dog owner’s District Court date is Aug. 29.
• Police were told Monday that the license plate, number ALW1523, had been stolen from a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport pickup owned by Pansy Claudette Reynolds of Double Trail Road. The theft occurred while the vehicle was left unattended in a parking lot on Carter Street.