A fire destroyed a single-wide trailer at 3389 Haystack Road Wednesday afternoon.
Four departments — Skull Camp, Central Surry, Pine Ridge and Mountain Park — responded to the scene of the fire at 1:38 p.m.
The second responder on the scene was Ryan Presnell with Central Surry Volunteer Fire Department, station 77, who said the left side of the single-wide trailer, from the entrance door down, was “engulfed in flames” when he arrived. Presnell said it took about 10 to 12 minutes to bring the fire under control, which was still smoking at that time.
The fire appeared to begin in the clothes dryer, according to both Presnell and Angela Leftwich, the daughter of Linda Marion, who lived in the home.
Marion was not injured, said Leftwich, but was upset about the loss of the structure, her home since 1996.
Leftwich said she and her husband were attending funeral services for her husband’s uncle, who recently died. Her mother called her and said she saw smoke in the hallway, then she found the dryer on fire. Leftwich said she told her mother to “flip the breaker” and call 911, but when she flipped the breaker, the phone connection dropped.
Marion, whom Leftwich described as disabled, had a Lifeline medical alert system, which she used to call for help. Marion was able to escape her home without injury and found refuge at a neighbor’s home. Marion lived alone and Leftwich said she is widowed.
When Leftwich and her husband arrived, the fire departments were already on the scene with four fire trucks.
Tracy Leftwich, Angela Leftwich’s husband, said Marion is 60 years old. He also said he was impressed by the volunteer firefighters who responded quickly. “I don’t know about what type of service other counties have, but I think we have the best volunteer firemen around.”