The Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce is seeking nominations for the 2012 Citizen of the Year, and community input is needed.
The deadline for submitting nominations is Jan. 16, and nominations received will be evaluated by a committee chosen by the chamber, who will announce the Citizen of the Year during the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Chamber, set for Jan. 24 at Cross Creek Country Club.
According to Membership and Communications Director Tanya Taylor, nominees should be residents intent on making a difference in the community.
“Nominees should have clearly demonstrated leadership and hard work, that have made Surry County a better place in which to live and work,” she said. “Careers of the nominees should be in the areas of business, industry and public service.”
Executives or employees of non-profit organizations are not eligible, Taylor added. In addition, elected officials, candidates for elected office and individuals who have previously held elected office are not eligible.
Specific criteria for nominees include:
• Candidate is a visionary — able to assess external and internal forces likely to significantly influence Surry County’s future and identify actions needed to manage these forces to maximum benefit.
• Candidate is a leader — not only through his/her work, but also through the ability to motivate others to become involved to improve Surry County.
• Candidate is highly respected — one who is known for being fair, ethical and honest in dealings with others.
• Candidate is a strong supporter of education at every level — one who is involved in improving educational opportunities for all and is actively involved in one or more education initiatives and a leader in at least one.
• Candidate is an ambassador for business/industry and economic development — involved in efforts to increase commercial and/or economic development.
• Candidate should have a track record of ongoing involvement (either by membership or on a committee, etc.) in the Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce.
• Candidate should be active in community organizations such as the United Fund of Surry County, Mountain Valley Hospice and Palliative Care, civic club, PTA, etc.
Nominations can be made by completing the official nomination form, available through the Chamber of Commerce, and attaching a narrative of no more than two pages summarizing how the nominee meets the criteria and deserves the recognition.
All nominations must include the name and phone numbers of both the nominee and the person making the nomination.
They should be sent to: Citizen of the Year, Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce, P.O. Box 913, Mount Airy, NC 27030.
They can be faxed to 786-1488, or via email at email@example.com.
Reach Keith Strange at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-1929.