• A Pilot Mountain man has been charged with assault for allegedly attempting to bite the ear of a city police officer. Scotty Edgar Jarrell, 32, of 142 Little Waterfalls Drive, is accused of assaulting a government official and resisting, delaying or obstructing a public officer in connection with an incident Wednesday night, according to Mount Airy Police Department reports.
Jarrell, who was arrested on U.S. 601 near Old U.S. 601, was encountered by police during their investigation of another assault that had occurred at a residence on Greystone Lane. As Officer G.P. Stroud was attempting to secure Jarrell in the rear passenger compartment of his patrol car during the course of the investigation, he allegedly tried to bite Stroud’s ear, arrest records state. Jarrell was held in the Surry County Jail under a $5,000 secured bond and is to be in District Court on Sept. 11.
• A Boonville woman is facing two felony counts of obtaining a controlled substance by forgery/fraud. One stems from an incident last Tuesday at Mount Airy Drug on West Pine Street involving 120 oxycodone pills. Leeann Beck, 33, was arrested Wednesday after apparently returning to the business. Beck also was served with an outstanding warrant for the other forgery/fraud violation which was issued by authorities in Elkin on Aug. 10, and another filed on July 26 for failure to pay fines in a previous case.
Additional offenses issued against Beck last week include second-degree trespassing, possession of a Schedule IV controlled substance (alprazolam) and possession of drug paraphernalia. She was jailed under a $12,697 secured bond and is scheduled to be in Surry District Court on Oct. 1.
• Bonita Charlene Payne, 42, of 686 Mountain Valley Road, Lambsburg, Va., was cited for larceny Wednesday at Walmart, where she allegedly took assorted cleaning products valued at about $90. Payne’s District Court appearance is set for Sept. 4.
• A forgery and uttering case was reported last Tuesday which involved a $900 loss to Surrey Bank & Trust on North Renfro Street. It relates to a known individual forging a signature on a check and passing it at the bank earlier in the month.
• Christopher Kyle Wilson, 27, of 1632 Siloam Road, was arrested last Tuesday on charges of possession of methamphetamine, a felony, and driving while license revoked. Wilson was encountered by police during a license checkpoint on Carter Street and in addition to not having a valid license was found in possession of the drug, arrest records show. He further was served with outstanding warrants for another violation of driving while licensed revoked which was filed on Aug. 9, along with failure to stop at a red light. Wilson was confined in the Surry County Jail under a $5,000 secured bond and is slated for an Oct. 23 District Court appearance.
• A break-in of a motor vehicle was discovered on Aug. 13 in the parking lot of Badcock Home Furniture and More in the Surry Plaza shopping center on West Pine Street. The crime involved someone cutting the padlock to the rear doors of a delivery truck belonging to the business and stealing a black and gray Southern Motion loveseat valued at $800.