Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Antioch Baptist Church, N.C. 89 West, will have its annual barbecue today from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. with dine in or carry outs available. Cost is $7 for plates, $3.50 for sandwiches and $8 by the pound. Menu consists of barbecue, potatoes, slaw, roll and dessert. Proceeds benefit local missions. For more information, call 789-2057.
• Wards Gap Church will have its annual yard and food sale today from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Webb Community Center, U.S. 52, Cana, Va. There will be yard sale items, ground steak sandwiches, hot dogs, pintos and cornbread, desserts and drinks for sale.
• Faith Tabernacle E.P. Church will have a yard sale today and Saturday from 8 a.m. until at 159-169 Barbara Ave., Mount Airy, and 559 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy.
• Mallalieu Jones UMC, 231 N. South St., Mount Airy, will have a fall fundraiser gumbo and bake sale Saturday at 11 a.m. to benefit the building fund.
• Holy Angels Columbiettes will have a bake sale to benefit the Shepherd’s House Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Holy Angels Catholic Church parking lot, 1208 N. Main St.,
• Westfield Friends Church, 3161 Old Westfield Road, Westfield, will have its bazaar Oct. 20 from 7 a.m. to noon. Featured will be breakfast, crafts, produce, baked goods, canned goods, clothing, yard sale, cookbooks, attic treasures and a quilt raffle. Proceeds will benefit special projects and the general fund.
• Flat Rock Baptist Church, 1335 E. Pine St., will have a clothing giveaway Oct. 20 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the church fellowship hall. The giveaway is free to the public. For more information, call 786-7661.
• Haymore Memorial Baptist Church, Rockford Street, Mount Airy, will have its Centennial Celebration Saturday and Sunday. A fellowship celebration will be held Saturday at 7 p.m. with music provided by Vessels of Clay. Following the celebration, there will be a time of refreshments and fellowship in the fellowship hall. The 100th anniversary celebration will be Sunday at 10:30 a.m. The Rev. Wayne Trexler will be preaching the sermon, and there will be no early service or Sunday school. Following the 11 a.m. service, there will be a covered-dish meal. The church will provide the meat, bread and drinks, and everyone is asked to bring a well-filled basket.
• Blessed Hope Baptist Church will hold its Friends and Family Day on Sunday with service scheduled at 11 a.m. with special music. Lunch will be served after the service. Blessed Hope Baptist Church is located at 2299 Westfield Road, below Busy Bee. For more information, call 719-0765.
• Lambsburg Missionary Baptist Church, 257 Chestnut Grove Road, Lambsburg, Va., will have its homecoming service Sunday at 11 a.m. featuring the Easter Brothers and the Easter Family in concert. Bro. James Easter will bring the message after the singing. Following the service, a meal and fellowship will be held in the fellowship hall. For more information, call 276-755-3812.
• Ivy Green Baptist Church will be having revival Sunday through Wednesday.
• Woodville Baptist Church, 5108 Westfield Road, Mount Airy, will have revival Sunday through Thursday at 7 p.m. with guest speaker, the Rev. Sammy Lawson, and special singing. Prayer room is open at 6:45 p.m.
• Praying for a Revival will be held at Old Siloam Church, 189 Hardy Road, Siloam, Wednesday through Oct. 20 with guest speaker, Bro. Dale Bass, at 7:30 p.m. There will be special singing each night. For more information or directions, call 374-2870 or 336-983-9117.
• Blessed Hope Baptist Church will hold a fellowship service on Oct. 20 at 6 p.m.. All churches, preachers and others are welcome to attend. The Children’s Home will be providing special music. Blessed Hope Baptist Church is located at 2299 Westfield Road, below Busy Bee. For more information, call 719-0765.
• Franklin Heights United Methodist Church, 416 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, will have its homecoming Sunday Oct. 21 with worship service beginning at 11 a.m. The Rev. Brenda Beshear will be the speaker. A covered-dish dinner and time of fellowship will follow the worship service.
• Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 619 S. South St., Mount Airy, will be celebrating its annual Friends and Family Day Oct. 21 at 3 p.m. The Rev. Thomas Williams Jr. of Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church will be the guest preacher. For more information, call 783-0333.
• Faith Tabernacle E.P. Church, 559 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, will have its 29th Pastoral Celebration Day for Chief Overseer Essie Gist Oct. 21. At 11:30 a.m., guest preacher will be Minister Marty G. Bille of Chicago, Ill., and at 3 p.m., guest preacher, Pastor Floretta Best of Mount Holly, will speak. For more information, call 325-8081.
• Piney Grove Baptist Church, 278 Piney Grove Road, Mount Airy, will host Austin Caviness, WXII meteorologist, as speaker Nov. 4 during the 11 a.m. service. For more information, call the church office at 356-4196.
• Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, presents “The Great Night Out” on Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. The featured performer is singer, songwriter and funny guy Mark Cable. Dessert will be served during intermission. A freewill offering will be received.
• Haymore Memorial Baptist Church will have its fall festival Oct. 24 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. featuring games like football toss, putt-putt, cake walk, balloon darts and more; and food like hot dogs, chips and drinks.
• Oak Grove Baptist Church, 272 Oak Grove Church Road, Mount Airy, will have pastor appreciation day Oct. 27, including a hayride and chicken stew, beginning at 4 p.m. Also, the church will host a trunk or treat on Oct. 31 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
• King Christian Center, 995 Brown Road, King, will have its fall harvest fest Oct. 27 from 5 to 9 p.m. featuring a gospel singing and chicken stew.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Nursery is available.
• Central United Methodist Church, 1909 N. Main St., Mount Airy, has Sunday services with the Rev. James Pyatt with early morning worship at 9 a.m., adult gathering at 9:45 a.m., Sunday school for children, youth and adults at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. A nursery is available.
• The Family Worship Center, 298 Athey Simmons Road, Mount Airy, has Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call 368-9646 or email email@example.com.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.-
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church will resume Wednesday evening activities on Aug. 15 with a fellowship meal at 5:45 p.m., youth and children activities at 6:30 p.m. and adult classes at 6:30 p.m. The clothes closet is open from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Call 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Flat Rock Presbyterian Church, N.C. 103 and Quarry Trail, has Sunday school every Sunday at 10 a.m. followed by traditional worship service at 11 a.m. Nursery is provided for both.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.