Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to email@example.com before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Bannertown Baptist Church will host its bloodmobile Aug. 12 from 12:30 to 5 p.m. All blood types are needed.
• Amazing Grace Baptist Church will have a Todd Tolbert fundraiser golf tournament Aug. 24 with prayer at 10:30 a.m., registration at 11 a.m., buffet from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and shotgun at 1:30 p.m. Cost is $75 per person or $300 per team. There will be free PGA instruction, and door prizes at every other hole. To sponsor, sign up, donate or for more information, call Tommy Gibson at 710-6591.
• Flat Top Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery Trust Fund will host a benefit Aug. 25 from 4 p.m. until at the Old Beulah School cafeteria. The cost is donations only, and includes a hot dog supper with trimmings that is eat in or take out and live entertainment by The Round Peak Ramblers. Raffle tickets, available the day of or from committee members, will be drawn for a 19.5 horsepower 42-in. cut John Deere lawn mower, $100 gas and a 50/50 drawing. For more information, tickets or to make a donation, call any committee member: Kim Bullins, 351-5064; Sherry Thompson, 352-4526; Joy Richardson, 320-2904; Ruth Oakley, 352-4416; Clarence Goings, 783-9165; Podge Atkins, 352-3248; Ward Hodges, 352-4389; Carol Shackelford, 352-4295; Charles Golding, 366-2424; or Doris Scott, 352-4094.
• Matt Linville will be the guest speaker at 11 a.m. at Pilot Mountain Friends Meeting on Sunday.
• Salem United Methodist Church, 2591 Wards Gap Road, Mount Airy, will have its 71st homecoming with guest minister, the Rev. Timothy Moore, who served as Salem’s minister from 2001-2004, Sunday. Sunday school is at 9:45 a.m., worship is at 11 a.m. and a luncheon is at 12:30 p.m. Those attending are asked to bring food to share.
• Gospel Baptist Church, 1085 Bob Lynch Road, off Carson/Mitchell Road, Pilot Mountain, will have its homecoming service Aug. 12 at 11 a.m. featuring the Murdocks. A covered-dish meal will follow the service.
• The seventh annual Thunder at The Rock will be Aug. 26 with service starting at 10 a.m. featuring drama “When the Unseen Becomes Reality” at The Rock Church, 416 W. King St., King. There will be a free lunch and a motorcycle ride following lunch.
• Old Siloam Church, 189 Hardy Road, Siloam, will have a gospel singing featuring Godswill Singers Saturday at 7 p.m. There is no charge, but a love offering will be taken. For more information or directions, call 374-2870 or 336-983-9117.
• The Rock Church, 416 W. King St., King, will host An Evening with Michael Combs Aug. 18 with doors opening at 5:30 p.m. There will be a hot dog combo meal and concessions available. Tickets cost $10 for advance purchased general seats; $12 for at the door general seats; $14 for gold circle reserved seats; and children 5 and younger are admitted free. There will not be childcare. For more information, call 336-983-0550 or visit www.GodRocksKing.com.
• The Shelton Church of the Brethren will be hosting a one-day Vacation Bible School Saturday. It will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for children ages 5 to 12. Lunch will be provided. To reserve a spot, call 978-6963.
• The Ministers & Deacons Alliance of Surry and Stokes County will host a one-day VBS camp Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Veterans Park, Mount Airy. For more information or transportation and volunteer opportunities, call Dettra Strickland at 786-4892 or MDA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Trustee Board of St. Paul AME Church is having a Rainbow Tea/Pew Rally Sunday at 3 p.m. The guest preacher for the event is the Rev. James Gravely, pastor of Chestnut Ridge Progressive Primitive Baptist Church, along with his choir and congregation. Those attending can wear red, blue, yellow, green or purple.
• The Ministers & Deacons Alliance of Surry and Stokes County will host a free leadership workshop Aug. 18 at 10 a.m. at Mallalieu-Jones Methodist Church, 231 N. South St., Mount Airy. This is geared toward pastors and ministers, deacons and trustees, mother board/deaconesses, choir members and musicians, youth ministry, ushers and hospitality and care ministry. Lunch will be provided. For more information, call Dr. E.L. Clark Jr. at 336-480-7936, Deacon Thomas Joyce at 341-1263 or Deacon Colonius King at 786-7137.
• The Family Worship Center, 298 Athey Simmons Road, Mount Airy, has Sunday services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call 368-9646 or email email@example.com.
• DivorceCare group meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at Fountain of Life Family Worship Center. For more information, call 789-0400.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at (336) 926-2293.
• Calvary Baptist Church has a clothes closet. Please call the church office if you are in need. Call 786-4778.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• Flat Rock Presbyterian Church, N.C. 103 and Quarry Trail, has Sunday school every Sunday at 10 a.m. followed by traditional worship service at 11 a.m. Nursery is provided for both.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school every Sunday morning at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., has the following weekly events: worship is Sunday at 10 a.m., Sunday school for all ages is at 11:10 a.m., Kids Club is most Sundays at 5:30 p.m., youth meet Sundays from 5:30 to 7 p.m., the Prayer Group meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Bible study is offered on Thursdays at 7 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 786-5627 weekdays.
• St. Paul Church of the Brethren, 64 Short Drive, Cana, Va., has Sunday school at 10 a.m. and worship services at 11 a.m. every Sunday. Bible study is every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• New Vision Christian Academy, 237 Coolidge Ave., Mount Airy, is accepting new students. Open enrollment is for grades one through 12. For more information, call the Flat Rock Church of God at 719-0434.
• The Inspiration Center, 154 N. Renfro St., Suite 100, Mount Airy, offers services on Sundays at 11 a.m. Susie Cooper, spiritual leader, offers special music on the harp and flute.
• Pleasant View Baptist Church, 154 Mount View Drive, Mount Airy, has Sunday school each Sunday at 10 a.m. and worship service at 11 a.m. Bible study is held on Wednesday each week at 7 p.m. The nursery is available.