HILLSVILLE, Va. — The area county fair season begins Wednesday, when the annual Carroll County Agricultural Fair gets under way on the grounds of the Southwest Virginia Farmer’s Market in Hillsville.
Fair organizers have scheduled a slate of activities designed for people of all ages, with a goal of being both fun and educational while stressing the importance of agriculture.
The fair will run through Sunday, Aug. 24, with Brinkley Entertainment of Walnut Cove, N.C., providing carnival rides and shows. The fair site is located near the intersection of Interstate 77/U.S. 58, Exit 14.
Admission rates are $5 for persons age 13 and up; $3 for ages 6 to 12; and free to those 5 and under. The gate admission charge covers all fair-sponsored events and unlimited carnival rides.
The carnival schedule is 5 to 10 p.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; Saturday, noon to 11 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 to 6 p.m.
Registration for exhibits will be held Monday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., with judging to follow.
Highlights of the five-day fair include:
• Wednesday: A music jam session from 7 to 9 p.m. on the Turman Stage; a youth dairy show at 6:30 p.m.; a youth beef cattle show after the dairy show under the livestock tent. Demonstrations will be held throughout the fairgrounds.
• Thursday: Poultry and rabbit show judging at 6 p.m. (check-in is from 3 to 6 p.m. for poultry and 5 to 6 p.m. for rabbits); a beauty pageant at 6 p.m. at the loading dock of the wholesale building.
• Friday: A youth meat and dairy goat show at 6 p.m. in the livestock tent (check-in is from 5 to 6 p.m.); a recipe contest at the loading dock at 7 p.m. (check-in is from 6 to 6:55 p.m.); storytelling during the recipe contest judging time from 7 to 7:30 p.m.; a sanctioned lawn mower race at 7:30 p.m.
• Saturday: A youth market lamb show at 11:30 a.m. under the livestock tent (the weigh-in will be from 8 to 10 a.m.); a music jam session from 1 to 5 p.m. on the Turman Stage; local authors all day; a drug dog demonstration at 11 a.m. between the wholesale building and barnyard; a pet show from 2 to 3 p.m. for teens and adults and 3 to 4 p.m. for children 15 and under, between the wholesale building and barnyard; forestry events beginning at 10 a.m.; a children’s tent from 1 to 3 p.m. (the tent will be across from the main gate entrance near the exhibit hall); a cruise-in from 1 to 5 p.m.; a horse pull at 7 p.m.; 4-H family fun games to be held at various times throughout the day between the carnival area and arena.
• Sunday: A coon dog bench and treeing contest at 4 p.m. (sign-in is from 3:30 to 4 p.m.); a horse show at 1 p.m. (registration begins at 11 a.m.); wrestling at 3 p.m. in front of the wholesale dock and parking lot; demonstrations throughout the fairgrounds all day.
A website for the event is at www.carrollcountyvafair.org.