The American Red Cross is continuing to experience an urgent need for blood and platelet donations, which local residents can help alleviate through a series of drives scheduled this month.
Blood products presently are being distributed to hospitals as quickly as donations come in due to the seasonal shortage, officials say.
The need for donors with types O negative, B negative and A negative is especially critical.
To help with the situation, a number of blood drives have been scheduled in the coming weeks across Surry County, including these dates and locations:
• A Surry County Wellness blood drive, at the Surry County Government Center, 118 Hamby Road, Dobson, today from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 401-8212.
• Mayberry Mall, Andy Griffith Parkway, Mount Airy, Friday, 2:30-7 p.m. For an appointment, call 786-1005.
• Elkin community blood drive at the Elkin Rescue Squad building, 946 N. Bridge St., Monday, 1:30-6 p.m. For an appointment, call 366-7331.
• Holy Cross Missionary Baptist Church, 344 York Road, Mount Airy, Aug. 24, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 406-3742.
• Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, 1432 Highway 21, State Road, Aug. 31, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 874-2712.
Donors who can’t keep a scheduled appointment are asked to visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-733-2767 to find another opportunity to give.