An urgent appeal for blood has been issued for the American Red Cross collection region that includes Surry County.
Blood and platelet donors of all types, especially O negative, B negative and A negative, are needed in the face of a looming summer shortage to avoid an emergency situation with the supply available for patients.
As a result, the Carolinas Blood Services Region of the Red Cross is urging local residents to roll up their sleeves and give during a series of drives scheduled across Surry County the rest of this month and in August.
Overall donor activity handled through the Red Cross is down about 8 percent over the past 11 weeks, resulting in about 80,000 fewer donations than expected. This is significant enough to prompt fears of an emergency shortage in the coming weeks, officials say.
Pointing out that patients don’t get a vacation from need, the Red Cross is encouraging would-be donors to get involved and help replenish the supply.
In addition to urging organizations to sponsor drives and for donors to show up, Red Cross officials are taking the extra steps of asking regular donors to recruit family members and friends to give. Officials also are encouraging the use of social media outlets by donors and recruitment personnel — such as Facebook — to promote blood-collection efforts.
The local collection schedule includes drives sponsored by these entities at the locations listed:
• VFW Post 9436 Ladies Auxiliary blood drive at Pilot Mountain United Methodist Church, 210 Marion St., Pilot Mountain, Monday from noon to 4:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 351-3413.
• Fellowship Baptist Church in Ararat, 1421 Little Mountain Church Road, Wednesday from 3-7:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 648-4921.
• Mount Pilot Drug, 119 W. Main St., Pilot Mountain, Thursday from 2-6:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 368-3500.
• Lowe’s home improvement, CC Camp Road, Elkin, Friday from 2-6:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 526-6550.
• Bree Tomchick blood drive, Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson, Aug. 2, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 443-968-4147.
• Beulah Ruritan Club, 5436 W. Pine St., Aug. 3, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 401-7230.
• Mount Airy community blood drive, Surry Red Cross chapter building, 844 Westlake Drive, Aug. 4, 1:30-6 p.m. For an appointment, call 786-4183.
• CK Technologies, 710 Piedmont Triad West Drive, Mount Airy, Aug. 5, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 786-2642, Extension 7657.
• Golden Living Center, 542 Allred Mill Road, Mount Airy, Aug. 5, noon-4:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 789-5076.
• Laken Gwyn blood drive, Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy, Aug. 9, 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 401-6314.
• Bannertown Baptist Church, 1834 Westfield Road, Mount Airy, Aug. 10, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 789-2505.
• Surry County Wellness blood drive, at the Surry County Government Center, 118 Hamby Road, Dobson, Aug, 14, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. For an appointment, call 401-8212.
• Mayberry Mall, Andy Griffith Parkway, Mount Airy, Aug. 15, 2:30-7 p.m. For an appointment, call 786-1005.
• Elkin community blood drive at the Elkin Rescue Squad building, 946 N. Bridge St., Aug. 18, 1:30-6 p.m. For an appointment, call 366-7331.
• Holy Cross Missionary Baptist Church, 344 York Road, Mount Airy, Aug. 24, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 406-3742.
• Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, 1432 Highway 21, State Road, Aug. 31, 12:30-5 p.m. For an appointment, call 874-2712.
Donors who can’t keep a scheduled appointment are asked to visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-733-2767 to find another opportunity to give.