South Data has established an SDI Scholars Program, in partnership with Surry Community College, to provide young adults an opportunity to earn their associate degree in computer information technology while receiving on-the-job training at South Data.
Those selected as SDI Scholars will receive reimbursement for tuition and books associated with earning the degree, as well as a ten-hour per week paid internship at SouthData while they are attending the college. Upon completion of the associate degree, successful graduates may have the opportunity to obtain a position at SouthData.
The scholarship will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Recipients must complete the Surry Community College Financial Aid Application by July 30 for the upcoming school year.
- Recipients will be chosen by a scholarship committee that includes both Surry Community College and SouthData representatives.
- Must pursue an associate degree in computer information technology.
- Must meet company hiring requirements.
- Required to participate in the paid internship program at SouthData.
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA at Surry Community College.
Applications for the SDI Scholar program must be completed and signed, along with a 1,000- to 2,000-word essay on why the applicant wants to purse a career in information technology. Applicants must also submit a high school transcript. All required documents must be submitted to SouthData, attention to the Human Resources Department at 201 Technology Lane in Mount Airy. All applications must be received by March 31 for enrollment in the 2014 fall semester.
Applications are available online at www.southdata.com/JoinOurTeam/BecomeaSDIScholar.aspx.
The SDI Scholar recipient will be announced no later than June 1.
The SDI Scholars program was started in 2003, as a way to potentially find employees with the right computer training and to increase the pool of qualified applicants, as well as a way to help local youth to find “fulfilling career paths,” according to SouthData President John Springthorpe III.
According to a press release posted on SouthData.com in 2012, two students from the SDI Scholars program are full-time employees of the company.
For more information, contact Andrea Simpson, SCC Financial Aid Director, at 386-3263 or call SouthData’s Human Resource Department Director at 719-5000.