by By Wendy Wood
Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• Haymore Memorial Baptist Church, 319 Rockford St., Mount Airy, will host Surry Medical Ministry Lucky Friday the Thirteenth Fundraiser today. The spaghetti dinner will be held from noon to 7 p.m. as eat-in or take-out, and auction will begin at 7:30 p.m. with items donated by local merchants. Dinner tickets cost $7 for adults and $4 for children 12 and younger, with meal including spaghetti, salad, bread, dessert and beverage. Auction is free admission.
• Highland Park Baptist Church will holds its 24th annual Brotherhood Auction Saturday with food and drinks available at 5 p.m. and auction beginning at 6 p.m. Included in items being auctioned is an 18-foot Hobiecat sailboat. Proceeds benefit mission projects.
• Shelton Church of the Brethren, 1065 Quaker Road, Mount Airy, will host a yard sale and hot dog lunch Saturday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. The sale will be in the fellowship hall, and hot dogs and drinks will be sold from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at $2.50 per meal. The fundraiser is sponsored by the Women’s Fellowship, and proceeds will benefit the needs of the community.
• Liberty Baptist Church will host a benefit softball tournament at Lowgap Community Center, N.C. 89, Lowgap, Saturday at 8 a.m. Entry fee is $125 with winner payback and T-shirts. It is 44 core ball. All proceeds benefit repairs to the church bus. For more information, call 336-385-0171.
• Grace Moravian Church, North Main Street, Mount Airy, will take orders for Moravian chicken pies Sunday through Sept. 25 with pick-up on Sept. 28 from 9 to 11 a.m. The cost is one or two pies for $11 each and three or more pies for $10 each. For more information, call the church at 786-5627.
• First United Methodist Church, Pilot Mountain, will host its annual Sweet Repeats 2013 fall/winter children’s consignment sale Sept. 19 from 6 to 9 p.m., Sept. 20 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sept. 21 from 9 a.m. to noon. For sale will be gently used, children’s fall and winter clothing, toys, baby equipment, maternity clothing and more. Those interested in consigning can pick up an information pack and registration form at the church, or go to www.fumcpm.com and click on ministries-children’s consignment sale. Registration deadline is Sept. 11. For questions, email email@example.com.
• Mount Pleasant Baptist Church will hold a yard sale and bake sale Sept. 27 and Sept. 28 at 8 a.m. Ham biscuits will be sold at breakfast both days and hot dogs will be sold at lunch both days. All proceeds benefit the church cemetery fund.
• Mountain View Pentecostal Holiness Church, 497 Hatchers Chapel Road, Claudville, Va., will have a yard sale for the church youth Sept. 28 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Included will be a bake sale. A hot dog lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and is available for carry out or dine in. For more information, call Ann Martin at 789-5608, Jerlene Tilley at 276-694-2079, Tabby Sprinkle at 351-4201, Gaye Martin at 786-2995 or Mary Sue Pressley at 276-251-5499.
• Westfield Friends Church, 3161 Old Westfield Road, Pilot Mountain, will have revival each Thursday in September. Speakers will be Ricky Rogers, Sept. 19; and Loyd Pugh, Sept. 26.
• Oak Grove Baptist Church, 272 Oak Grove Church Road, Mount Airy, will have homecoming Sunday.
• Laurel Bluff Baptist Church, 127 Bluff Road, Mount Airy, will hold homecoming Sunday at 11 a.m. Lunch will be served after the service, and a special singing will follow lunch.
• Shining Light Baptist Church, 1056 Pipers Gap Road, Mount Airy, will have revival Sunday through next Friday with services at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Speaker will be Evangelist Bro. Noah Frye, and there will be special singing. For more information, call 786-6057 or 325-9385.
• Word of God Baptist Church, 3000 Asbury Road, Westfield, will hold revival Monday through next Friday at 7:30 p.m. Guest preacher is Bro. Don Anderson, and there will be special singing. For more information or directions, call Pastor J.K. Faries at 351-2273.
• Dover Baptist Church will have service at Fisher River Park Sept. 22 with Sunday school at 10 a.m. and preaching at 11 a.m.
• An old-fashioned tent revival will be held at Veterans Park Sunday through Sept. 21 at 7:30 p.m. Schedule of speakers and singers includes Rodger Easter and Easter Brothers and The Easter Family Sunday; Rex Adams and Paul Robertson Monday; Rodger Easter and Paul Robertson Tuesday; Rex Adams and Paul Robertson Wednesday; Rodger Easter and Rodger & Gail Easter Thursday; Rex Adams and Chosen Friday; and Rodger Easter and Chosen Saturday. Those attending should bring chairs in case of overflow. For more information, call 429-9827.
• An old-fashioned tent revival will be held at Veterans Park Sept. 22-26 at 7 p.m. The schedule of pastors and special music includes Bro. Chris McMillian and Woodsville Baptist Church choir Sunday; Bro. Wayborn Mosley and Blues Grove Church choir Monday; Bro. Tim Burton and New Vision Tuesday; Bro. Joey Jessup and Jerusalem’s Way Wednesday; and Bro. Barry O’Neal and By God’s Grace Thursday.
• Liberty Baptist Church, 9023 W. Pine St., Lowgap, will host a three-week revival Sept. 30-Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. each day and 6 p.m. on Sundays. Week one will feature Dale Wheeler and Wayne Damron; week two, Jason Nunley and Andy Parrot; and week three, Lee Cope and Barry Spears. For more information, call 352-3114 or 336-385-0171.
• Vessels of Clay will perform at Singing in the Park at the Robert Smith Foundation Park, North Main Street, Mount Airy, Sunday from 5 to 7 p.m. Admission is free, those attending should bring a lawn chair.
• Fancy Gap Baptist Church, 1161 W. Lebanon St., Mount Airy, will hold a gospel singing featuring The Builders Quartet Oct. 5 at 7 p.m.
• Haymore Memorial Baptist Church, Rockford Street, Mount Airy, will host a See You at the Pole Rally Sept. 22 with a hot dog supper at 5:30 p.m. and rally at 6 p.m. The rally is to support the youth in holding their own rallies on their school campuses Sept. 25.
• Copeland Baptist Church will host an old-fashioned day celebration Sept. 28 from 1 to 5 p.m. with wagon rides, cornmeal grinding, blacksmith demonstrations, homemade apple pies, children’s games and more.
• The Surry Baptist Association 111th annual meeting will be held Oct. 28 at Haymore Memorial Baptist Church with afternoon session at 4 p.m., supper at 5:30 p.m. and evening session at 7 p.m.
• White Plains Friends Meeting, Old Highway 601, will have its weekly AWANA program Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. for children ages 2 through eighth grade. Dinner will be provided. For more information, call the church office and leave a message at 789-1671.
• The GAP Storehouse has opened on Hodges Mill Road, Dobson, offering new and used items for sale. It is open by appointment Wednesday through Saturday by calling Pastor K. Dobson at 648-1951. All proceeds will benefit the GAP church building fund. Donations and contributions are welcome.
• Marantha will be providing free meals Friday nights at 512 W. Pine St., Mount Airy.
• First Presbyterian Church of Mount Airy, South Main Street, will have Sandwich Saturdays the first Saturday of each month from 11:30 a.m. to noon. Bag lunches will include a sandwich, chips, apple and bottled water.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church has a new prayer meeting open to the community on Thursdays at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. The primary purpose is to pray for the nation, state, county, churches and pastors.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The church also is holding free bingo the third Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at 336-926-2293.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices