Last updated: August 09. 2014 1:54AM - 1210 Views
Staff Report

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

A probe continues in regards to a room fire which occurred August 7 at 11:30 p.m. at 2516 Red Brush Road in Mount Airy.

Pine Ridge Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chris Galyean said an investigation by Jimmy Ashburn of the Surry County Fire Marshal’s office is looking into preliminary evidence suggesting the cause of the blaze was accidental and possibly connected with a heating blanket.

No injuries were reported in connection with the fire where Pine Ridge served as the primary unit. Galyean said the first units were on the scene responding in around five minutes. He said smoke and small flames were visible from the room and said it appeared damages would be limited to replacing the smoke damaged contents of the room.

Two tankers and four fire engines were used with around 20 firefighters on scene with the fire itself being put out in a little more than three minutes. The names of the occupants of the rental property were not available at press time. Pine Ridge served as the primary unit for the scene with Skull Camp, White Plains and Central Surry departments providing backup.

According to information from the Surry County Chapter of the American Red Cross, the group responded to the house fire and assisted a family of one adult and one child with food, shelter and clothing. The family has been referred to the Red Cross Emergency Services Department for further assistance.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Mount Airy Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com