Last updated: October 25. 2013 11:50PM - 3131 Views
By - jlinville@civitasmedia.com

Quarterback Alex Martin runs through the arm tackle of Devin Burnett and bowls over a safety to score Surry Central's first touchdown.
Quarterback Alex Martin runs through the arm tackle of Devin Burnett and bowls over a safety to score Surry Central's first touchdown.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

North Surry led by 14 points with 10:38 left, but Surry Central came back to take a 28-27 win on the road Friday.

The Greyhounds led 21-6 at the half, but had three empty trips into the red zone in the second half.

The Golden Eagles used a big defensive play to change momentum in the third quarter.

In the first quarter, the Hounds moved the ball steadily down the field on the ground from their 37 to the end zone.

Quarterback Hunter Snow and running back Dakota Goss shared the load, but Blaze Acord scored from 20 yards out for a 7-0 lead with 5:35 left.

Acord lined up on the left like a receiver, then motioned back to the line. He took the handoff and sprinted around the right end of the line.

He scorec his second touchdown on a mirror image of this, going from right to left for a 23-yard score at the start of the second quarter.

In between those scores, however, Surry Central made a 63-yard drive itself for a score.

Alex Martin found Chris Craddock for a pass that included a helmet-to-helmet penalty on the defense for a 24-yard change of position.

Reid Stanley and Raymond Salazar had runs to get the ball inside the 10-yard line, and Martin took it in himself from nine yards out. That made it 7-6 in the first with a missed extra point.

Then after Acord’s second score it was 14-6.

Kenyon Martin took the ensuing kickoff from his goal line to the North Surry 28.

The offense stalled, but field position had gone to the Eagles’ advantage.

After a three-and-out by North Surry, the Eagles got the ball back at their 44 with eight minutes left in the half.

A holding call and a sack moved Central backward to the 24-yard line.

The snap to the punter was over Craddock’s head and into the end zone. North’s Reggie Lyman dove on the ball for a touchdown to make it 21-6.

After a Central punt, the Hounds nearly made a play deep into Eagle territory. On third and 25, Hunter Snow threw a long pass to Ryan March on a post pattern. March got his hands on the ball, but couldn’t bring it in for a first down at the 20-yard line.

In the third quarter, the Hounds moved the ball down the field to the 5-yard line.

On a pass play, Snow was scrambling around in the backfield and was flushed out to the left.

Raymond Salazar had Snow’s jersey as the quarterback tried to throw a pass to Goss. The weak throw was picked off at the 11-yard line by linebacker Stephen Bruner.

Bruner is a big kid, said Coach Monty Southern, so the coach didn’t know if he could take the ball all the way down the field. The linebacker rumbled up the sideline 89 yards for a score to make it 21-13 with 4:31 left in the third.

All night long, Central avoided kicking off deep to Goss and Acord. Snow picked up a squib kick and returned it to the 47-yard line for great field position.

Snow ran for 10 yards and then found Tanner Hodgin for a short completion.

Acord picked up about 20 yards to the 17 for a first down.

At the end of the quarter, North Surry faced fourth and a foot inside the 8-yard line.

After a false start moved North back, Coach Danny Lyons called for a fake field goal.

Central was overloading North’s left side, said Lyons, so he thought he could call a play to have the holder toss the ball to Acord going right, away from the pressure. However, penetration up the middle stopped the play cold.

Central took over at the 17-yard line, but soon gave it back.

Alex Martin handed off to Kenyon Martin, who was immediately hit before he could secure the ball. North Surry recovered the fumble at the 8.

Dakota Goss took the ball in from there to make it 27-13 with 10:38 left. The extra point missed low and left.

On the next possession, Central went 80 yards in six plays. Salazar punched it in from the 2 to make it 27-20 with about five minutes left.

Central then went for an onside kick, and the ball bounced up in the air and over the heads of the first line of Hounds. The Eagles recovered the ball at the 48-yard line.

The Eagles churned out a 10-play drive. On third-and-goal from the 12, Coach Monty Southern called a bootleg play.

Alex Martin rolled out and found Nick Coe in the end zone.

Alex made a perfect pass over the outstretched arms of the cornerback, and Nick made a great catch, said Southern. Considering the time and score and the difficulty of the play, that might be the greatest pass and catch in school history, he said.

That made it 27-26 with less than two minutes to go.

Southern called for a fake extra point.

Holder Robert Moser took the snap and went out to the right side. He was still about three yards out when he dove forward, said Southern. He was hit in the air, but still came down on the other side of the goal line for a 28-27 lead.

North Surry got the ball back and tried four straight passing plays. Snow was incomplete three times and was sacked to end the threat with 52 seconds left.

After running very well for the first three quarters, the Hounds didn’t have much offense in the fourth.

Acord and Goss are going to get their yards, said Mark Snow, Central defensive coordinator.

Acord ran 15 times for 143 yards, Goss 10 carries for 65 yards and Snow eight for 55 yards.

The key is to limit their scores, and North only had six points after halftime, Snow said.

Asked about halftime adjustments, Snow said the biggest thing wasn’t the moves by the coaches, but the players handling their assignments well.

Outside linebacker Chris Craddock started disrupting the outside runs and helped contain the backs, Snow said. Stephen Bruner was a stalwart for the defense.

After coming up empty on three red-zone possessions, Lyons said of his Hounds, “We find ways to stop ourselves.” By not capitalizing on those chances, the Hounds let Central hang around and keep some hope.

Then in the fourth quarter, the Eagles made plays to win the game, he said.

The defense has to get off the field, he said. North Surry was up late on Mount Airy, too, and couldn’t hold the lead.

The West Stokes win was a great team effort, and everyone has to play better as a unit to win, he said.

With games left with South Stokes and Forbush, Lyons said the Greyhounds will be fighting for a possible playoff berth.

Central goes to Forbush, then ends at home against West Stokes.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Mount Airy Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com