Last updated: November 15. 2013 11:20PM - 1686 Views
By - jlinville@civitasmedia.com

Mount Airy's Caleb Horton hauls in a 46-yard catch down to the 1-yard line to set up the Bears' first touchdown. Mount Airy won 28-7.
Mount Airy's Caleb Horton hauls in a 46-yard catch down to the 1-yard line to set up the Bears' first touchdown. Mount Airy won 28-7.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Mount Airy jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first half and won 28-7 over East Montgomery in the first week of the state 1AA playoffs.

The Granite Bears rushed for more than 250 yards in going up 28-0 before giving up a score on a fumble in the end zone.

This was the 150th career win at Mount Airy for Coach Kelly Holder. He won 23 games at Surry Central at the start of his career.

Coming in his 200th game for the Bears, Holder’s winning percentage climbed to .750.

A light rain began to fall in the second quarter and picked up the pace in the second half. That led to some sloppy play in the fourth quarter, but by then the Bears had a huge lead.

The visiting Eagles went with a couple of trick plays on the first series, including a hook-and-lateral pass play that moved East to the 12-yard line.

However, the Bears defense would hold and force a turnover on downs.

After an exchange of punts, the Bears got the ball back late in the first quarter.

From the East 47-yard line, quarterback Logan Holder lofted a long pass down the right sideline. The cornerback appeared to lose track of the ball, and Caleb Horton pulled in the pass. Horton battled the defender down to the 1-yard line.

On the next play, fullback Andrew Jones powered it in with 38.2 seconds left in the first quarter. Mitchell Brown’s kick made it 7-0.

East Montgomery couldn’t pick up a first down and punted again.

A few runs and a short pass moved the Bears to the 33-yard line when Shay Wilson broke free for a long scamper. His touchdown made it 14-0 with 9:16 left in the half.

The Eagles returned the kickoff to the 30-yard line, but lost several yards on a pitch play. The ensuing punt only reached midfield, and Horton returned it to the 37-yard line with 7:22 left in the half.

Two handoffs to Jones picked up 16 yards to the 21.

E.J. Helton carried to the 17-yard line. From there, Davontae Dobson raced to the 2-yard line and stretched the ball across the plane of the goal for a touchdown. However, a block in the back moved the ball to the 15-yard line.

One play later, Holder hit Julian Rawley on a pass to the left side of the end zone for a 14-yard score. That made it 21-0 with 4:49 left in the half.

The Bears moved the ball again inside the last two minutes, but the drive stalled.

Mount Airy received the ball to open the second half.

The Bears steadily moved the ball down the field, but wound up at fourth-and-4 at the 44-yard line.

Rather than punt, the Bears handed it to Wilson, who went 15 yards for a first down at the 29.

Passes to Jones and Rawley moved the ball to the 1-yard line. Wilson took a pitch left and scored with 3:25 left in the third to make it 28-0.

On the next drive, the Eagles had their best action of the night on a broken play.

Quarterback Colby Maynor dropped back to pass, but just as he brought his arm back to throw, the ball slipped in his hand.

By the time the quarterback regained control, three Bears were closing in. Maynor pulled the ball in and took off running for 55 yards to the Mount Airy 25.

The Bears clamped down and moved the Eagles backward to a fourth-and-24. Isiah Simmons broke up a pass to give the Bears the ball at the 25.

When Mount Airy couldn’t move the ball, the Eagles took Brown’s punt and raced it back to the 12-yard line.

However, on the next play the Bears hit a receiver and caused a fumble. Simmons fell on the ball at the 10-yard line for his second-straight drive-killing play.

At this time, Holder was on the bench getting his ankle wrapped, and backup Kelton Walser was in the game.

A penalty moved the ball back to the 5, then a fumble at the goal line allowed East’s Aaron Dunn to dive on the ball for a touchdown.

Walser would later go out of the game with an undisclosed injury, and Holder went back out with his retaped ankle.

With the win, the Bears remain at home next week, hosting East Surry in a rematch of the season finale that the Bears won.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Mount Airy Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com