PILOT MOUNTAIN — Northwestern Regional Library’s annual Awards Reception and Photography Exhibit will be held on Tuesday at the Charles H. Stone Library in Pilot Mountain, starting at 6:30 p.m.
A free photography workshop on developing a personal photograph style will be conducted prior to the awards reception by award-winning photographer Hobart Jones. The workshop will begin at 5:30 p.m.
Both the workshop and the reception are free and open to the public. Heavy hors d’oeuvres will be served at the awards reception.
Amateur and professional photographers who reside in Surry, Stokes, Alleghany and Yadkin counties were eligible to enter photographs.
At last year’s reception, a large crowd of people were in attendance, with standing-room-only, many of whom were there to support a friend, family member, or loved one who had entered photographs in the contest.
The photo contest is in its eighth year and has grown each year, Regional Library Supervisor John Sherif said.
Many of the photographs entered in the contest will be part of a traveling exhibit that will go to each library in the system. Each library will exhibit photos from their county.
The People’s Choice Award last year went to Carolyn Choate of Mount Airy for her photograph “Chief Atop Raven Knob.”
Award winners will receive cash prizes, funded from the entry fees for the contest.
Last year’s award winners included:
• Youth 5-8, Color: first place to John Kessler of Yadkin County; second place to Carter Alley of Elkin; honorable mention for Carolina Alley of Elkin
• Youth 9-12, Color: first, second place and honorable mention to Christian William of Alleghany County; third place to Ian Dollyhite of Pilot Mountain
• Youth 13-17, Black and White: first place to William Wesley Robinson of Pilot Mountain; second place to Emily Brim of Mount Airy
• Youth 13-17, Color: first place to Whitney Pardue of Elkin; second place to Abby Shepherd of Pilot Mountain; third place and honorable mention to William Wesley Robinson of Pilot Mountain
• Adult, Digitally Altered: first place to Misty Hagwood of Mount Airy; second place to James R. Norris of Alleghany County; third place to Jim Drum
• Adult, Black and White: first place to Danny Redd of Alleghany County; second place to Josie Grogan of Pilot Mountain; third place to Casey Grogan of Pilot Mountain; honorable mentions to Connie Duffey and Rich Miller of Pilot Mountain
• Adult, Color: first place and third place to Dave Lineback of Alleghany County; second place to Raybern Mitchell of Mount Airy
Honorable mentions for the adult color category were awarded to:
• Yadkin County: Angela Reaves, Darrell Ring
• Pilot Mountain: Jonathan Bass of Pilot Mountain, two for Randy Keith, two for Greg Dollyhite, Bob Pantano, two for Richard Hill
• Mount Airy: Rodney McDaniel, Linda Humphrey, Dana Cochran, Carolyn Choate
• Elkin: Judy Conrad, Bonni Hicks, Leonard Reynolds
• Alleghany County: Tina Duffey, two for Dave Lineback, two for Sandra Walker, three for Sheila Carico, James R. Norris, Carol Norris, two for Danny Redd, two for Rich Miller, T.J. Worthington
• Danbury: Rodger L. Sheffer Jr.
• King: Ann Nichols
• Northwestern Regional Library Headquarters honorable mention went to Marie Simonelli.
• Best in Show was awarded to Dave Linebeck for “Shirt Factory Door.”
• People’s Choice award was presented to Carolyn Choate for “Chief Atop Raven Knob.
For more information, contact the Charles H. Stone Memorial Library in Pilot Mountain at 368-2370, the Northwestern Regional Library at 835-4894 or the website at www.nwrl.org.
Reach Jessica Johnson at 719-1933 and on Twitter @MountAiryJess.