Last updated: August 30. 2014 1:35AM - 796 Views
By - dbroyles@civitasmedia.com



Dobson Elementary students and staff march in downtown Dobson as part of a Parade of Success held Friday morning. It was designed to demonstrate support for students from faculty and the community and as a physical activity. Students were encouraged to put their special skills on posters, banners and hats and display them during the parade.
Dobson Elementary students and staff march in downtown Dobson as part of a Parade of Success held Friday morning. It was designed to demonstrate support for students from faculty and the community and as a physical activity. Students were encouraged to put their special skills on posters, banners and hats and display them during the parade.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

DOBSON — Organizers of Dobson Elementary’s first “Parade of Success” Friday morning say the jaunt around town’s main goal was to show students the community is behind them as they open their school year. Media Specialist Stephanie Bode credited Principal Sharia Templeton with seeing a similar idea in another school and adapting it for the Tigers.


She said more than 400 students participated, along with music from the Surry Central Marching Band and flag corps. Bode credited volunteer traffic control provided by the Dobson Volunteer Fire Department, Surry County Sheriff’s Office, Dobson and Surry Community College Police with the successful march.


“We also did this because we wanted all our students to see the community and parents showing support for them,” said Bode. “It was great to see them turn out like they did. They even followed them from street to street. Every class was encouraged to show their talents on banners, posters and hats.”


She said the theme for the school year is “beneath the surface” and said they want students to understand they are like an iceberg with 10 percent above water. She explained the goal of the staff was to “see the other 90 percent.”


Bode said the parade would be followed by a “mad scientist” assembly geared around getting students interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).


“We have always been a reading school but we want to spark their science interest. We also want them excited right from the beginning (of the school year),” said Bode.


Templeton said she and the school improvement team tailored the idea to get the children physically active and allow the community to show its support. She praised the efforts of Surry Central Band Instructor Michael Hyde and his group and said she especially appreciated how supportive and involved the high school students have been.


“We want to communicate (to students) we want you to have a great year and we support you,” Templeton said. “The kids have already asked if we can do this every week. They didn’t even know they were exercising. They really enjoyed it.”


David Broyles may be reached at 336-415-4739 or on Twitter@MtAiryNewsDave.


 
 
Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute