• A Virginia teen has been charged with felony possession of marijuana in Mount Airy, according to city police department reports. Sean Alec Morgan, 18, of 42 Wildcat Road, Hillsville, was encountered by officers during a license check at North Franklin and Pipers Gap roads during the early morning hours Thursday, and they discovered a “strong odor” of marijuana coming from inside the car Morgan was occupying, arrest records state.
He alledgedly admitted to having marijuana and a search of the center console and elsewhere turned up more than 1.50 ounces of the drug. In addition to felonious possession, Morgan was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver and possession of marijuana paraphernalia (identified as a pipe). He was confined in the Surry County Jail under a $2,000 secured bond and slated for a July 20 appearance in District Court.
• Jonathan Tyler Dowling, 22, of 1356 Floyd Pike, Hillsville, Virginia, is facing a second-degree trespassing violation due to being on the premises of Walmart last Wednesday after having been banned from that location. Dowling is scheduled to appear in Surry District Court on July 19.
• John Alexander Penn, 32, of 681-B Maple St., was charged with driving while impaired on June 4 after police investigated a traffic crash in the Wrenn Avenue area, and testing revealed his blood-alcohol level to be twice the legal limit, 0.16 percent. In addition to DWI, Penn is facing a violation of misdemeanor possession of marijuana. He is free on a $2,500 unsecured bond to appear in District Court on July 31.
• Police were told on May 19 that a Coke machine at the Surry III car wash on East Pine Street received $300 in damage and had an unknown sum of money removed, after someone cut a padlock and pried open the door of the device.
• Jewelry items valued at $49 were stolen by an unknown suspect from Burke’s Outlet on Rockford Street on May 19, including two women’s bracelets, two men’s bracelets and a keychain. The latter item was listed as recovered.
• Sharon Tate Wall, 43, listed as homeless, was charged with larceny and possession of stolen goods after an incident at a Dollar General store on May 19, when she allegedly took makeup, batteries and flip-flops. Tate is free on a $500 unsecured bond to appear in Surry District Court on Sept. 7.
• Travis Lee Knott, 28, listed as homeless, was charged with second-degree trespassing on May 19 at a location on Lovill Street from which he had been banned last November by a city officer. Knott is free on a written promise to appear in District Court on Aug. 22.