Fire department officials responded to a fire at a clothing and linen rental and laundering business Tuesday evening, but Professional Rental Services in Mount Airy was still open for business on Wednesday morning.
Mount Airy Fire Department officials arrived on the seen of a fire at 220 Frederick Street at 7:44 p.m. on Tuesday, two minutes after an alarm sounded at the location, according to a statement from the department.
Firefighters had the blaze, which started in a commercial dryer, under control within a few minutes of arriving on scene.
According to the statement, $5,000 in structural damage was caused, and the business suffered $20,000 in damages to the store’s contents. The cause of the fire was listed as “unintentional.”
Despite the fire, Professional Rental Services was open Wednesday morning, according to manager Tony Williams.
Williams said staff worked through the night to play catch-up. There was little smoke damage at the location. However, there was considerable water damage at the site.
“Our customers won’t see any interruptions in the services we offer,” added Williams.
Surry County EMS, the Mount Airy Rescue Squad and the Mount Airy Police Department also responded to the incident.
Last week, fire department officials were also busy, according to another media release from the department.
On May 10, firefighters responded to a fire at 150 Twilight Lane in Mount Airy. Officials arrived on the scene about four minutes after receiving the call for service at 10:52 p.m. The situation was under control six minutes later.
According to the release, the fire resulted in $1,500 in damage to a building and destroyed contents valued at about $500.
Surry County EMS, Mount Airy Police and the Mount Airy Rescue Squad also responded to that incident, and the Bannertown Volunteer Fire Department was on standby to aid the city fire department.
No injuries resulted from either fire.
Andy is a staff writer and may be reached at 415-4698.