Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Aunt Bea’s #5, 642 S. Key St., Pilot Mountain. Inspected July 12, score 95. Violations: 1) Proper eating, tasting, drinking, or tobacco use: Eating, Drinking, or Using Tobacco – C — Two employee drinks were found without lids and straws. Another was found without a straw. Another employee drink in a bottle was found stored with the margarine in the reach-in cooler. Employee drinks must have lids and straws and must be kept below or otherwise away from food, food storage areas, food prep areas, single-service utensils, clean utensils, and clean linens. If employees prefer not to drink from a straw, a tumbler with a handle on the side and lid would be required. This was corrected by education and disposing of the drinks.
2) Handwashing sinks, supplied and accessible: Handwashing Cleanser, Availability – PF — There was no soap at the handwash sink downstairs. Soap must be stocked at all handwash stations. This was corrected by placing soap at that sink. 6-301.12 Hand Drying Provision – PF — The men’s restroom did not have paper towels. Keep paper towels stocked at all handwash sinks. This was corrected by placing paper towels in the dispenser. Using a Handwashing Sink-Operation and Maintenance – PF — Several cardboard boxes were stacked in front of the handwash sink in the back. Do not place anything in front of handwash sinks. This could discourage employees from using the handwash sinks when needed.
3) Insects and rodents not present; no unauthorized animals: Controlling Pests – PF — One mouse was seen under the front soda station. Contact your pest control operator for extermination. Traps were placed under the soda station to attempt to catch the mouse. It would also help to close up the hole where the lines are leading underneath the soda station.
4) In-use utensils: properly stored: In-Use Utensils, Between-Use Storage – C — Utensils at the left ice cream freezer were sitting in hot water at 109 degrees F. In-use utensils may sit in hot water between uses, but the temperature must be 135 degrees F or higher. The unit was not turned on. This was corrected by washing, rinsing, and sanitizing the utensils and pans for the holding unit and turning the unit on. The water read 155 degrees F when checked later during the inspection. Also, knives were stored underneath the bread toasters in the prep areas. The tables underneath these toasters were not cleaned and sanitized. Clean utensils must be kept on cleaned and sanitized surfaces between uses (if choosing to store them this way).
5) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean all nonfood contact surfaces (inside of microwaves, top of equipment (where needed)). Clean between the grills. Clean under tabletop equipment.
6) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C — Clean the handwash sink in the back area and downstairs. Clean the bases of the toilets in the restrooms.
7) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floor where needed (underneath equipment and shelving). Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Fill/cover any holes in the walls. Repair the damaged ceiling leading to the basement. Repair/replace/sand and paint the rusty walls in the walk-in cooler. Floor and Wall Junctures, Coved, and Enclosed or Sealed – C — The baseboard is peeling away from the wall downstairs and should be repaired. Seal the ceiling/wall juncture above the ice machine and other areas where needed. Walls and Ceilings, Attachments – C — Replace any missing ceiling tiles. Replace any broken FRP panel moulding (between two sheets of FRP).
Food Lion #1347 Deli, 692 Andy Griffith Pkwy, Suite 1, Mount Airy. Inspected July 11, score 97.5 Violations: 1) Insects and rodents not present; no unauthorized animals: Controlling Pests – PF — Flies are numerous in the deli today. Proper methods are being used to trap and eliminate the numbers of flies, but the number needs to be reduced further. Contact your pest control operator, if necessary.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean all nonfood contact surfaces (top of equipment, shelving throughout; dish rack; inside the storage area underneath the cold case and the door tracks; etc.). Remove stickers on carts. Clean the bunker in the walk-in cooler.
3) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C — Clean the handwash sinks, around the drain in the sink compartment, mostly (mold/mildew build-up). Clean the floor sink underneath the prep sink.
4) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floors underneath equipment and sinks.
Food Lion #1347 meat market, 692 Andy Griffith Pkwy, Mount Airy. Inspected July 11, score 97.5 Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P — A couple of dirty knives were found placed in the clean knife storage unit. Make sure knives are washed, rinsed, and sanitized properly before placing them up for future use. This was corrected during the inpection by washing, rinsing, and sanitizing the knives.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Remove stickers from the wrapping station. Remove tape and cardboard from the bunkers in the walk-in cooler.
3)Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floor sink underneath the prep sink. Clean the floors under neath the bunkers in the walk-in units. Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Regrout the floor where needed in the market and fill any holes in the grout, as well. Reattach the wall panel to the wall where coming away. This panel is located between the office door and the walk-in freezer door.