Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Lowe’s Deli, 715 W. Independence Blvd., Mount Airy. Inspected April 6, score 98. Violations: 1) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – Several wiping cloths were found improperly stored today. All cloths used to wipe down equipment or food contact surfaces must be kept wet and submerged in a bucket of sanitizer between uses.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the door tracks on the boars head display unit. Clean the door tracks and outside faces of the salad prep unit. Clean under the cutting board on the salad prep unit. Clean the lower shelving in the pan storage area. Clean the door handle on the walk in cooler.
3) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – Clean the ceiling near the air vents in the deli. Clean the floors in the walk in freezer.
4) Meets ventilation and lighting requirements; designated areas used: Designation-Dressing Areas and Lockers – C – An employee phone was found on the prep table today. Keep all employee items away from food prep, cooking and storage areas.
M and R Catering, 802 E Atkins St., Dobson. Inspected April 5, score 94.5. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C – The person in charge must be certified as a food protection manager. The person in charge was not certifed as a food protection manager today.
2) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment Food-Contact Surfaces and Utensils-Frequency – C – The ice machine in the serving area had mold and bacteria build-up inside of the top cabinet today. Clean the ice machine at a frequency to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria build-up.
3) Proper cooling methods used; adequate equipment for temperature control: Cooling Methods – PF – Gravy was found cooling in a deep, sealed container in the walk in cooler. Use an approved method to cool foods rapidly. The gravy was transferred to an ice bath to correct the violation.
4) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – Clean the inside of the utensil container above the three compartment sink. Replace the slicer cover with a food grade bag or cover.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – *REPEAT* Clean the floors in the walk in cooler and freezer. Clean the floor in the kitchen under the mats and large pieces of equipment. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – *REPEAT* Repair the floor in the walk in cooler that is rusting.
Save A Lot Market meat market, 1468 S. Hwy 52, Mount Airy. Inspected April 5, score 95.5. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C — There was no food safety certified person-in charge here while the certified person went to lunch. The market light was out and was not in operation, which would normally allow the absence of a certified person-in-charge. However, the store manager was asked to cut meat for a customer today. At that point, the market was again in operation, constituting the violation. The certified person-in-charge arrived one hour after commencing the inspection.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Remove stickers from tables, shelves, and racks, where needed, especially at the wrapping table and overhead rack above the cutting station. Clean the bunkers thoroughly in the walk-in cooler. Clean the racks where styrofoam trays are stored. Clean the aluminum trays that store wrapped meat.
3) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C — Clean the handwash sink. Toilet Room Receptacle, Covered – C — All three receptacles in the stalls of the women’s restroom were left open (for the disposal of feminine hygiene products). These receptacles must be kept covered.
4) Garbage and refuse properly disposed; facilities maintained: Covering Receptacles – C — (0 POINTS): One of the dumpster doors was left open. Keep the dumpster closed at all times.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — REPEAT ON ALL: Repair the floor/wall where damaged (door panel and wall under/behind the chicken bunker in the walk-in cooler, in front of the urinal in the men’s restroom, around toilets in women’s restroom (middle stall), market areas, behind the toilet in the men’s restroom, etc.). The door jamb leading into office is rusty/damaged and should be repaired. Fill any holes in the walls with caulk or silicone. Caulk behind the sink in the women’s restroom (right sink) to prevent splash behind them. Rework the caulk behind the 3-compartment sink (cracking). Place a strainer in the floor sink in the market. Repair the broken floor tile at the can wash. Repair the damaged wall at the can wash. Reseal the panel to the right of the sink in the men’s restroom. Cover the floor drain in the men’s restroom with a grate. Keep all storage at least 6 inches off of the floor. Floor and Wall Junctures, Coved, and Enclosed or Sealed – C —Replace the baseboard where fallen in the women’s restroom and office storage room. Seal between the wall and baseboard in the market where it has become separated. Repair the wall where it has separated from the floor (to the left of the walk-in cooler entrance). Clean the ice from the floor in the walk-in freezer. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floors and walls where needed (throughout, including restrooms). Clean the ceiling in the walk-in cooler.