Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Central Methodist Child Center, 1909 N. Main St., Mount Airy. Inspected Feb. 12. Violations: 1) Handwashing when required: Observed two children blow their noses and the teacher did not direct the children to wash their hands. Cdi by addressing with the teacher and the children washed their hands.
2) Non-hazardous products properly stored: Observed several teachers’ pocketbooks stored under 5 vertical feet. All pocketbooks must be stored this way. If medication or other hazardous item is stored in the pocketbook, it must be locked.
3) Facitilies provided for proper storage, used and kept clean: Store items off of the floor in the kitchen and classroom storage closets.
4) No animals in food preparation areas and no unrestrained animals except as allowed; no prohibited animals; required veterinary records available and current: Baby goat was caged in a room unoccupied by children so hourly feeding could take place. When animals are on the premises, copies of vaccination records shall be available for review. The goat will need to be examined by a vet and records retained on premises if kept at the center.
Chili Rojo Restaurant, 1296 Newsome St., Mount Airy. Inspected Feb. 10, score 96.5. Violations: 1) Food separated and protected: Packaged and Unpackaged Food-Separation, Packaging, and Segregation – P – A container of raw steak was found over cheese dip in the reach in cooler. Raw pork was found above liquid margarine in the walk in cooler. Keep all raw meats below or away from ready to eat foods. The raw meats were relocated to correct the violation.
2) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment Food-Contact Surfaces and Utensils-Frequency – C – The water nozzle at the soda fountain had mold build-up inside of it today. The ice machine had mold build-up inside of the storage cabinet around the ice chute and in the top of the unit. Clean the ice machine and water nozzle at a frequency to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria build-up. Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – The food processor was in clean storage with lettuce build-up on the blade today. Keep all food contact surfaces clean to sight and touch. The food processor was removed to be washed to correct the violation.
3) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C – Several metal pans were found wet nested today. Allow all containers to air dry before stacking them. Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – The ice scoop storage container at the wait station had debris inside of it today. Keep the ice scoop storage container clean and sanitized.
Flat Rock Elementary School lunch room, 1725 E. Pine St., Mount Airy. Inspected Feb. 14, score 99.5. Violation: Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floor underneath the left side of the 3-compartment sink. Sweep under shelves in the dry storage room. Clean the vent (air return) above the two-compartment sink. Clean behind the dryer. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C — There is a hole in the grout underneath the left side of the 2-compartment sink. Please repair this hole. Repair/replace the broken floor tile in the dry storage room. The hood has been painted recently, but it has begun to peel and flake again. I would recommend sanding and painting again.
Flat Rock Pre K child care, 1539 E. Pine St., Mount Airy. Inspected Feb. 8. Violations: None
Jones Intermediate School lunch room, 2170 Riverside Dr., Mount Airy. Inspected Feb. 11, score 99.5 Violation: Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean 6-201.16 Wall and Ceiling Coverings and Coatings – C — There are several areas on the concrete walls that are damaged and are now showing the unsealed concrete, especially on corners. Repaint over these areas to provide a smooth and easily cleanable surface. Alternatively, the corners can be covered with corner guards (sealed to the wall) that will prevent damage in the future.
Just Save Market meat market, 911 E. Atkins Str., Dobson. Inspected Feb. 8, score 98. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – The sanitizer tested below 150ppm quat today. Keep all sanitizer prepared to manufacturers specifications. The sanitizer was remade to correct the violation. Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – The grinder had been cleaned and had meat build-up inside of it today. Keep all food contact surfaces clean to sight and touch. The grinder was recleaned and sanitized to correct the violation.
2) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Drying Mops – C – Keep the mops stored off of the floor while they are draining in the canwash. Storing Maintenance Tools – C – Keep the hoses stored out of the canwashes at the meat department. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair the floor in the meat department where tiles are chipped and grout is missing from the baseboard.
Kentucky Fried Chicken, 2120 Rockford Str., Mount Airy. Inspected Feb. 12, score 98. Violations: 1) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled. Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C – A stack of plastic containers was found wet nested in the dish washing area today. Allow all containers to air dry before stacking them.
2) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the top inside of the microwaves across from the dish sink. Clean the shelving in the walk in freezer where ice build-up has formed.
3) Garbage and refuse properly disposed; facilities maintained: Outdoor Storage Surface – C – The dumpster pad is cracked in several places and needs to be repaired to where it is non-absorbant and smooth.
4) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – Clean the floor in the wak in freezer where ice build-up has formed. Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair the inside of the cabinet under the dining room soda machine where water damage has occured.