DOBSON — He’s 77 years old, folks call him “Pops,” and he will answer to several felonious drug charges in Superior Court on May 11.
Jimmie Willis Proveaux Sr., of Pleasant Ridge Road, State Road, was indicted Monday with two counts of maintaining a drug vehicle or dwelling, sale or delivery of a schedule II controlled substance, two counts of possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a schedule II controlled substance, one count of possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a schedule VI controlled substance and sale or delivery of marijuana.
According to a statement released by the Surry County Sheriff’s Office in April 2015, Proveaux was arrested following a series of drug sales to undercover officers.
Sexual offense indictments rewritten
Two updated indictments were handed down Monday to a Pinnacle man accused in August 2015 of raping and assaulting a 72-year-old woman.
Jim Terry Hairston, 43, of Grass Creek Road, was indicted in December 2015 with second-degree rape, second-degree sexual offense, assault causing serious bodily injury and felony larceny.
The indictments for the rape and sexual-offense charges stated that the victim was “physically helpless.”
The reworded indictments state that the offenses occurred “against the will of the victim.”
Hairston was a friend and former neighbor of the victim, according to a statement released by the sheriff’s office following his arrest.
He is scheduled to appear in Surry County Superior Court for the charges on May 10.
On Monday, the Surry County Grand Jury also returned true bills of indictment to the following:
• Kenneth Edward Matthews, 41, of Pine Ridge Road, Mount Airy, charged with felony hit-and-run causing serious injury or death and no operators license. Matthews is due in court on May 2.
• Timothy Donnell Sawyers, 23, of New Crosswinds Drive, Mount Airy, charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, second-degree kidnapping, injury to personal property and assault inflicting serious injury. The indictments were unserved as of Wednesday afternoon with no court date set.
• Hannah Leigh Settle, 17, of Elkin Highway 268, Ronda, charged with possession of stolen goods or property. Settle’s case appeared on the March 22 calendar.
• Michael Chad Shaw, 44, of Hadley Street, Mount Airy, charged with possession of methamphetamine. Shaw is scheduled to appear in court on May 11.
• Rackwon Tyrez Simon, 20, of East 17th Street, Winston-Salem, charged with breaking and entering. Simon’s case appeared on the March 22 calendar.
• Brian Glenn Snow, 31, of Old Rockford Road, Dobson, charged with felony larceny. His case appeared on the March 22 calendar.
• Herbert Vernal Stanback, 59, of Marble Street, charged with possession of burglary tools, two counts each of breaking and entering and felony larceny, and acquiring the status of a habitual felon. Stanback’s case appeared on the March 22 calendar.
• Ronald Alexander Winters Jr., 35, of Hickerson Street, Elkin, charged with two counts each of indecent liberties with a child, statutory rape/sexual offense and the defendant is at least six years older and other charges The Mount Airy News is not publishing because doing so might inadvertently identify the victim.
Reach Terri Flagg at 415-4734.