DOBSON — A Mount Airy teen accused of stabbing a younger student in the back – literally – was indicted Monday by a Surry County Grand Jury.
William Emory Ables, 17, of Austin Drive, had been charged in September 2015 with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, with intent to kill.
He was indicted with the same charge Monday.
The News reported in September that Ables, then 16, and a 13-year-old male, whose name was not released, had argued on the bus during their afternoon ride from school.
About three hours after getting off the bus, the young men made contact with each other in the Austin Drive/Jeffries Street neighborhood, Capt. Alan Freeman said in September.
“An altercation took place and at that time, the 16-year-old stabbed the 13-year-old,” Freeman said.
The younger student was treated for the wound at Northern Hospital of Surry County and released.
Ables is scheduled to appear in Superior Court on May 10.
The following true bills of indictment were also handed down Monday:
• Dennis Dwain Angel, Jr., 28, of Mount Airy, with maintaining a drug vehicle and altering/destroying criminal evidence. Angel had been initially charged in October 2015 following the execution of a search warrant at Quality Inn on Rockford Street that resulted in the arrests of five people.
The defendant was also charged with resisting a public officer for allegedly failing to comply with orders to stop moving and put up his hands.
Angel pleaded not guilty to that charge and misdemeanor drug possession but was found guilty of both in District Court in December 2015. He is scheduled to appear in Superior Court on May 11.
• Christopher Anderson, 45, of Little River Trail, Mount Airy, with identity theft and obtaining property by false pretense. Anderson is scheduled to appear in court on May 10.
• James Ervin Anderson, 40, of Simpson Mill Road, Mount Airy, with seven counts of trafficking opium or heroin and a court date scheduled for May 11.
• Jessica Leann Carter, 32, of Sandy Berry Road, with identity theft. Carter is scheduled to appear in court on July 6.
• Jeremy Aaron Collins, 24, of Shelton Avenue, Statesville, with indecent liberties with a child, misdemeanor child abuse and assault on a child. A court date of May 10 was set.
• Justin Lee George, 24, of Brookfield Drive, Mount Airy, with first-degree burglary, larceny after breaking and entering, larceny of a firearm, conspiring to break and enter a building. His case appeared on the March 22 court calendar.
• Johan Andrew Gutierrez, 22, of Quaker Church Road, Mount Airy, with felony larceny. Gutierrez was scheduled to appear in court on March 22.
• Joe Lewis Hughes, 63, of Brady’s Home Lane, Mount Airy, with obtaining property by false pretense and acquiring the status of a habitual felon, with a court date of March 22 set.
• Nathan Alexander Mills, 18, of Herring Street, Mount Airy, with conspiracy of the sale or delivery of marijuana. Mills is due in court on May 11.
Reach Terri Flagg at 415-4734.