For 95 years the Mount Airy Ministerial Association has sponsored the annual community-wide Lenten Services for the area. In recent years the crowds have increased dramatically, with last year’s attendance surpassing all expectations.
Begun in 1921, the services have become an opportunity for the Christian community to gather together and meditate upon the life, death and resurrection of the Lord through the messages of the ministers from six different denominations.
This year’s seven-week Lenten Services will be hosted by the Highland Park Baptist Church and its pastor, Dr. Darrell Tate. The church is located at 1247 Park Drive behind Walgreen’s Drug Store,; the telephone number is 786-4275.
Each service will begin at 11:45 a.m. with a musical prelude provided by some of the well-known religious musicians in the area. The musical prelude will be followed by a 30-minute worship service beginning at noon and ending at 12:30 p.m. A meal will be provided by the host church for all who attend. While the meal is free, donations will be accepted that will go toward the cost of the meal.
The schedule of services, along with the speaker, is:
– Feb. 10, Dr. Darrell Tate, host pastor of Highland Park Baptist Church
– Feb. 17, Dr. David Sparks, pastor, Flat Rock Pentecostal Holiness Church.
– Feb. 24, Rev. Eric Smith, pastor, Mount Airy Wesleyan Church;
– March 2, Fr. Larry Heiney, priest, Holy Angels Catholic Church;
– March 9, Rev. Mark Muckler, pastor of Central United Methodist Church;
– March 16, Rev. Judy Knopf, interim pastor, Grace Moravian Church;
– March 23, Rev. Bob Josey, president, Mount Airy Ministerial Association.
Everyone is invited to attend these services and to enjoy the meals and fellowship. For additional information, contact Karen Cox at the host church, 786-4275.