Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
222 Public House, 222 East Main St., Elkin. Inspected Nov. 9, score 95. Violations: 1) No bare hand contact with RTE foods or a pre-approved alternate properly followed: Preventing Contamination from Hands – P,PF – (REPEAT) An employee was witnessed handling fried fish with bare hands today. Employees cannot touch ready to eat foods with their bare hands. Gloves were implemented to correct the violation.
2) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment Food-Contact Surfaces and Utensils-Frequency – C – (REPEAT) The ice machine had mold and bacteria build-up inside of it today. Clean the ice machine at a frequency to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria build-up.
3) Contamination prevented during food preparation, storage and display: Food Storage-Preventing Contamination from the Premises – C – (REPEAT) Brown sugar and pasta was found in open bags today. Keep all dry foods in a sealed container or otherwise protected from contamination. A large cotainer of flour was found in a container that had plastic wrap for a lid. If plastic wrap is used, the product or container must be completely wrapped. Repeat points were not assessed because the amount of improperly stored product was greatly reduced from the previous inspection.
4) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Cutting Surfaces – C – Repair or replace the small cutting boards that are damaged and not easy to clean. Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C – The four door reach in freezer is missing legs or casters. Replace the missing faces on the reach in beer cooler and the pizza prep unit. Repair the sandwich prep unit that has water pooling in the bottom of the unit. Repair the fan grate on the reach in freezer across from the fryer that is coming loose. Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C – Replace the whisk that is missing its handle. Replace the chicken wing container across from the grill line.
Asian House, 2021 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Inspected Nov. 2, score 94. Violations: 1) Food separated and protected. Packaged and Unpackaged Food-Separation, Packaging, and Segregation – P – Raw eggs were found over the cabbage in the reach in cooler. Raw chicken was found over peas and carrots in the prep unit. Raw chicken was found above raw pork in the walk in cooler. Keep all raw meats stored below or away from ready to eat foods. Keep all raw meats stored by their minimum internal cooking temperature. Products in violation were relocated to correct the problem. Corn and steak were found uncovered in the walk in freezer. Keep all food products covered or protected while in storage. The corn and steak was plastic wrapped to correct the violation.
2) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P – (REPEAT) Three cutting boards, two metal pans and one knife and whisk were found with build-up on them while in clean storage. Keep all food contact surfaces clean to sight and touch. The contaminated surfaces were cleaned and sanitized to correct the violation. Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P – One wet wiping cloth bucket tested below 50ppm chlorine. Keep all sanitizer between 50 and 200ppm chlorine. The wiping cloth bucket sanitizer was remade to correct the violation.
3) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C – (REPEAT) Several wiping cloths were found improperly stored today. Keep all cloths used for wiping food contact surfaces wet and in a bucket of sanitizer between uses.
4) Utensils, equipment and linens: properly stored, dried and handled: Equipment and Utensils, Air-Drying Required – C – Several metal containers were found wet nested today. Allow all containers to air dry before stacking them. Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C – Clean the ice scoop storage container.
5) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C – Replace, remove or repair the non-working reach in freezer and the warming cabinet. Repair the shelving in the vegetable walk in cooler where it is rusting on the bottom. Cutting Surfaces – C – Replace or repair the green and red cutting boards that are damaged and no longer easy to clean.
6) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C – Clean the tops of the dry food containers. Clean the top of the rice cooker. Clean the inside of the microwave. Clean the inside of the deep fryer. Clean the handles on refrigeration. Clean the table where the can opener is attached.
7) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C – Repair or replace the botths and chairs that have damaged upholstry and are not easy to clean. Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C – Clean under the deep fryer in the kitchen. Clean the floor in the walk in freezer where ice build-up has formed.
Cedar Ridge Pre-K child care, 734 Flippin Rd., Lowgap. Inspected Nov. 4. Violation: Clean and in good repair; water play centers cleaned, sanitized and maintained: Clean the white board and outside water play center.
Cedar Ridge School lunch room, 734 Flippin Rd., Lowgap. Inspected Nov. 4, score 99. Violation: Handwashing sinks, supplied and accessible: Handwashing Sinks, Installation – PF – Hot water was not supplied to the handwashing sinks in the cafeteria today. Hot water must be supplied to the handwashing sinks at a temperature of 100 degrees F. I will return in 10 days to ensure that the hot water is available to the handwashing sink at a minimum temperature of 100 degrees F.