Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Subway 548 CC Camp Road, Elkin. Inspected Sept. 10. Score 94. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C- At least one employee who has supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service shall be a certified food protection manager by taking and passing an ansi accredited program (Servsafe for example). This person must be present during the operations including during the inspection.
2) Proper eating, tasting, drinking, or tobacco use: Eating, Drinking, or Using Tobacco – C- Cup of coffee and an icee was stored without a lid and straw on the prep table. Store employee drinks away from food, food contact surfaces (equipment), linens, and single service. Cdi. Employee threw away.
3) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – P- Clean and sanitize the ice machine following manufacturer’s instructions. I will return within 10 days for compliance. Observed some plastic containers in storage that needed additional cleaning. Cdi by cleaning and sanitizing.
4) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C- Clean tops of equipment for dust and crumbs. Clean inside cabinets.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C- Clean floors under and along cabinet floor joints. Clean light sheilds and ceiling tiles on the front line-dusty. Drying mops – c- air-dry the mop. Do not store in the service sink. Need to purchase a hanger.
6) Meets ventilation and lighting requirements; designated areas used: Using Dressing Rooms and Lockers – C- Lockers or other suitable facilites shall be used for orderly storage of employee bags and other possessions. Cdi by moving.
Subway #12614, 700 W. Pine St., Mount Airy. Inspected Aug. 31, score 96.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C — Clean and sanitize the dining room ice machine following manufacturer’s instructions (mold/mildew). The back ice machine has only a slight build-up of mold/mildew and should be cleaned in the near future, as well.
2) Single-use and single-service articles; properly stored and used: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C — The spoons used for the frozen yogurt/dessert area were stored improperly. Keep the eating surfaces down and the handles up when storing these spoons to prevent them from being contaminated.
3) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used 4-502.11 (A) and (C) Good Repair and Calibration-Utensils and Temperature and Pressure Measuring Devices – C — Replace any broken lids. Nonfood-Contact Surfaces – C — The legs of a few shelves in the walk-in cooler are chipping and should be sanded and painted or replaced.
4) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean the top of equipment, where needed (holding units, ovens, microwaves, etc.).
The Sandwich Shop, 201 E. Main St., Pilot Mountain. Inspected Sept. 2, score 95.5. Violations: 1) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored: Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C- Store wet wiping cloths in sanitizer once wet. Need to have a sanitizer bucket to store these in.
2) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used *REPEAT VIOLATION* Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C- Refrigeration handles in bad repair. Do not duct tape equipment. Shelving is rusty and chipping. Equipment parts rusting inside the refrigeration units. Countertops chipping. Inside of microwave in bad repair. Food equipment, certification and classification – c- all equipment must be ansi/nsf approved for its intended use. Residential refrigerators and crockpot in the outside storage room are not approved for commercial use. The dish sink is not approved. Drainboards must be continuously moulded all one piece and inside corners must be rounded and easy to clean. Nonfood-contact surfaces – c- wooden shelving in the sandwich unit is not an approved food contact surface. Needs to be non-absorbant.
3) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Equipment, Food-Contact Surfaces, Nonfood-Contact Surfaces, and Utensils – C- Clean equipment facings, sides, and legs. Clean tops of equipment for dust, grease, and crumbs. Wipe out refrigeration. Clean shelving. Clean inside drawers.
4) Toilet facilities: properly constructed, supplied and cleaned: Cleaning of Plumbing Fixtures – C- Clean toilet fixtures.
5) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C- Floors, walls, and ceilings of main building and both storage rooms are not of approved material. Must be smooth, non-absorbant and easy to clean. Clean floors and walls where needed. Sweep and clean outside storage rooms and bathrooms.
Westfield Elementary School lunch room, 273 Jessup grove Church Road, Pilot Mountain. Inspected Sept. 3, score 97.5. Violations: 1) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized 4-602.11 Equipment Food-Contact Surfaces and Utensils-Frequency – C – The ice machine had mold and bacteria present on the splash guard and top of the ice chute in the bin. Clean the ice machine at a frequency to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria build-up.
2) Toxic substances properly identified, stored, and used: Sanitizers, Criteria-Chemicals – P – The sanitizer was above 400ppm Quat in the wiping cloth buckets today. Keep all sanitizer prepared to the manufacturers specifications which is 200-400ppm Quat for the concentrate used at this establishment. The sanitizer buckets were remade to correct the violation.
White Plains Baptist child care center, 631 Old Hwy 601, Mount Airy. Inspected Sept. 11. Violations: 1) Equipment, non-food contact surfaces clean; in good repair: Clean tops of equipment. Clean inside microwaves. Clean fryer and fryer table. Clean inside the refrigerator units in the school age room and infant areas.
2) Facitilies provided for proper storage, used and kept clean: Clean the front bathroom storage room. Store items on shelving to facilitate cleaning.
3) Approved hygienic practices, clean clothes, hair restraints where required; no evidence of tobacco where prohibited: Hair restraints must be worn by those preparing food in the kitchen.
4) Easily cleanable, clean, and in good repair; carpets vacuumed as required and extraction cleaned; date cleaned___ Floor cleaning needed behind the oven in the kitchen under equipment and along floor joints. Clean the walls behind the pot storage and the ice machine in the kitchen and where there was water damage in the school age room. Replace loose floor tile in the infant food prep area. Chipped and cracked floor tiles throughout. Detail floor cleaning needed throughout. Replace water damaged ceiling tile in the 4 year old. Replace missing vinyl baseboard.