Health Department Inspections is a regular listing of inspections conducted in Surry County establishments by North Carolina health officials. The listing includes restaurants, schools, day care facilities, adult care and other facilities. The listings give the health inspector score, if applicable, along with the text of their findings in their words.
Quality Inn-Mount Airy, breakfast bar, 2136 Rockford Rd.. Inspected Sept. 9, score 92.5. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties: Certified Food Protection Manager – C — A food safety certified person-in-charge must be on the premises during all operating hours. There was no food safety certified person-in-charge here during the inspection.
2) Proper eating, tasting, drinking, or tobacco use: Eating, Drinking, or Using Tobacco – C — An employee drink was found stored on the prep table to the left of the handwash sink. This employee drink was in an aluminum can. Employee drinks must have lids and straws and must be kept below food prep and food storage areas. I would consider an aluminum can to have a lid, but a straw would need to be added to keep the drink away from hands when drinking them. This was corrected by discarding the employee drink.
3) Handwashing sinks, supplied and accessible: Using a Handwashing Sink-Operation and Maintenance – PF — The door to the front desk was propped open and blocking the handwash sink. Keep the handwash sink accessible at all times. This was corrected by closing the door. Handwashing Cleanser, Availability – PF — There was no soap in the men’s restroom. Place soap in the men’s restroom. This was corrected.
4) Food-contact surfaces: cleaned and sanitized: Manual and Mechanical Warewashing Equipment, Chemical Sanitization-Temperature, pH, Concentration and Hardness – P — There was no sanitizer present in the kitchen today to sanitize food contact surfaces. Keep sanitizer in the kitchen at all times. You can use a bucket of sanitizer with multi-use towels or a spray bottle of sanitizer with disposable towels. This was corrected.
5) Single-use and single-service articles; properly stored and used: Equipment, Utensils, Linens and Single-Service and Single-Use Articles-Storing – C — The coffee stirrers are stored in a manner in which they can become easily contaminated. I would recommend using individually wrapped coffee stirrers or to purchase a dispenser specifically designed for coffee stirrers where it would be impossible to contaminate the coffee stirrers. Keep the original sleeve around single-service cups to protect the sides from contamination—some cups were stored above the sleeve. Alternatively, dispensers can be purchased that will protect the cups from contamination. There was some improvement in this violation.
6) Warewashing facilities: installed, maintained and used; test strips: Manual Warewashing, Sink Compartment Requirements – PF — A 2-compartment sink is being used at this facility with an approved variance. As a condition of the variance, the wash water temperature and sanitizer concentration must be checked and recorded daily. Wash water temperature has not been recorded since August 31 and sanitizer concentration has not been recorded as long as the chart has been posted. This was corrected by recording the values today.
7) Non-food-contact surfaces clean: Nonfood Contact Surfaces – C — Clean all non-food contact surfaces (top of equipment (in the self-service area), racks in the reach-in cooler, inside the juice dispenser, etc.).
8) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Walls and Ceilings, Attachments – C — Clean the ceiling lights in the restrooms. Clean the top of the lights over the vanities in both restrooms. Floors, Walls and Ceilings-Cleanability – C — Repair the walls where needed (holes in walls (to the left of the juice dispenser), tears in wallpaper, reattaching baseboard to the wall in the kitchen, etc.). Cleaning, Frequency and Restrictions – C — Clean the floor under the reach-in units.
Royalls Soda Shoppe, 128 West Main St., Elkin. Inspected Aug. 31, score 91.5. Violations: 1) PIC present, Demonstration – Certification by accredited program, and performs duties *REPEAT VIOLATION* Certified Food Protection Manager – C-at least one employee who has supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service shall be a certified food protection manager by taking and passing an ANSI accredited program (Servsafe for example). This person must be present during the operations including during the inspection.
2) Food in good condition, safe and unadulterated *REPEAT VIOLATION* Safe, Unadulterated and Honestly Presented – P,PF- Observed one container of hot dogs that had mold growing on them. Cdi by owner discarding.
3) Food separated and protected: Packaged and Unpackaged Food-Separation, Packaging, and Segregation – P- Observed package of cube steak stored over deli meats in the sandwich unit and meats stored over ready to eat food in the stand up freezer and non-commercially packaged meats not stored properly in the stand up freezer. Store non-commercially packaged food in the freezer according to final cooking temperatures. Handout was given and will be posted. CDI by owner rearranging food in the freezer and sandwich unit. Keep ice bin covered when not in use.
4) Wiping cloths: properly used and stored *REPEAT VIOLATION* Wiping Cloths, Use Limitation – C- Store wiping cloths in the sanitizer water once wet. Do not store on food prep surfaces.
5) Equipment, food and non-food-contact surfaces approved; cleanable, properly designed, constructed and used: Good Repair and Proper Adjustment-Equipment – C- Seal cracks around the drink station and ice bin area. Repair the sandwich unit leak. Food Equipment, Certification and Classification – C- Residential oven and crock pot are not approved for use in the kitchen.
6) Physical facilities installed, maintained and clean: Repairing-Premises, Structures, Attachments, and Fixtures-Methods – C- Repair back storage tile. Repair the wall in the back storage room near the ice machine. Replace missing floor tiles near the sliding glass door cooler. Drying Mops – C- Air-dry mops. Do not store in the mop bucket.
7) Meets ventilation and lighting requirements; designated areas used: Light Bulbs, Protective Shielding – C- Light need to be shielded in the back storage rooms. Using Dressing Rooms and Lockers – C- Observed cds and stereo stored on a food prep surface. Employee personal belongings shall be stored separately away from food, equipment, clean linens, and single service. Move the stereo systems off of the prep table.