Church marks 100 years


Staff report



Simmons Grove Baptist Church is seen here as it appears today.


Submitted photo

Simmons Grove Baptist Church will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of the church on Sunday, Oct. 11.

The special service will begin at 10:30 a.m. with the ringing of the original church bell. A brief history of the bell will be presented. The service will include music, followed by words from the pastor, Rev. Dale Wallace, former pastors, and those who have been ordained from the congregation.

A covered dish lunch will follow the service. Members of the church, former members, and friends are invited to attend the service and lunch.

Simmons Grove Baptist Church was established in the spring of 1915 by the Rev. C. C. Arrington and 16 members in a grove donated by Joe Flippin.

A portion of this original gathering officially organized the church in 1915 on land donated by Nathan Simmons.

Services were first held in the grove, hence, the name Simmons Grove. Later, when the fall and winter months made it necessary to seek shelter, seats were arranged in an old store building at the home of Nathan Simmons, until the old church building was completed in 1916.

The current church building was completed at Simmons Grove in May 1965 on property donated by W. M. Matthews. Sunday school rooms and carport were added in the fall of 1978.

The church is located at 443 Simmons Grove Church Road in Pilot Mountain.

For more information, visit Simmonsgrovebaptistchurch.com or call 336-351-6356.

Simmons Grove Baptist Church is seen here as it appears today.
http://www.mtairynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/web1_New-church.jpgSimmons Grove Baptist Church is seen here as it appears today. Submitted photo

Staff report

comments powered by Disqus