No charges in recent shooting incident


DOBSON — No charges have been filed in a recent father and son shooting incident that wounded both men involved.

According to Surry County Sheriff Graham Atkinson, neither Charles W. Haney II, 73, nor Charles W. Haney III, 32, wanted to press charges in the recent shooting incident that left both men with gunshot wounds.

On May 28 officials from the Surry County Sheriff’s department and Surry County Emergency Services responded to an incident at 111 Arthur Haney Road shortly after receiving a call around 2 p.m. Officials arrived to find both the elder and younger Haney with gunshot wounds.

After receiving initial treatment from Emergency Services personnel at the scene, the elder Haney was transported to Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital in Elkin to receive treatment for a gunshot wound to his left hand.

The younger Haney, who was also treated by emergency response personnel at the scene, was transported to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to receive treatment for a gunshot wound to the right hand and abdomen.

Atkinson said the injuries to both men were likely caused by the same gunshot and were a result of some sort of domestic dispute. According to Atkinson neither man’s wounds were life-threatening, to his knowledge both men were making full recoveries.

Atkinson said the evidence surrounding the incident was sent to the District Attorney’s office. However, the District Attorney chose not to file any charges after both parties indicated they did not want to see anyone prosecuted as a result of the incident.

The younger Haney has previously been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon in 2006 and assault; pointing a gun in 2005. Haney also has convictions including assault, possession of drug paraphernalia and larceny dating back to 2000.

comments powered by Disqus