By Lucie Willsie
August 13, 2014
Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to email@example.com before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Upcoming Events, Special Services
• The Glory Hallelujah Triumphant Pentecostal Church at 495 Hodges Mill Road in Dobson will hold several yard sales this summer, starting at 8 a.m., on Aug. 14, 15, 16, 21, 22, and 23. Proceeds to go to the church outreach ministry. For more information, call 648-1951.
• Lambsburg Missionary Baptist Church will hold a golf tournament starting its shotgun start at 1 p.m. on Aug. 16 at Olde Mill Golf Course. Lunch registration is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Prizes to be award to the top three teams, a hole in one contest, closest to the pin, and the longest drive. All proceeds will go to the youth trip to Resurrection in Pigeon Forge, Gatlingburg, Tennessee. To register, call Israel Easter at 276-733-0290 or Mark Hiatt at 401-5919.
• Lambsburg Missionary Baptist Church will hold its quarterly Sunday night sing on Aug. 17 at 6 p.m. with Crossroad, a gospel group with ties to Lambsburg, Virginia, and Cana, Virginia.
• Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 97 Oak Grove Trail on Wards Gap Road, in Cana, Virginia, will hold a revival from Aug. 17 got 20 at 7:30 p.m. with the Rev. Larry Thomas. There will be a special singing each night. A homecoming will be held on Aug. 24 with a singing featuring the Harriest Time Singers. For more information, call Wilma Clerk at 276-755-3359.
• The Ministers and Deacons Alliance of Surry/Stokes Counties is sponsoring a workshop, titled “God’s Plan for Humanity: Surviving the Pressure of the World” Life Workshop from 8 a.m. to noon on Aug. 23 at Mallalieu Jones UM Church, 231 N. South St., in Mount Airy. Special guest will be the Rev. Dr. Derrick Thorpe Sr. Free to the public. For more information, call Thomas Joyce at 341-1264.
• Singing News award-winning trio Greater Vision will be in concert at First Baptist Church of King, 122 Kirby Road, on Aug. 24 from 10:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. Admission is free. A love offering will be taken.
• Flat Rock Baptist Church will host a concert by the Hospice choir, Mountain Valley Voices, on Aug. 24 starting at 6 p.m. Refreshments will be served. Everyone is invited to attend. For more information, call the church office at 786-7661.
• A free community cookout will be held by St. Paul AME Church, 321 N. South St., in Mount Airy, on Aug. 30 starting at 1 p.m. The menu will consist of hot dogs, soda, chips and dessert. No pre-orders or take-outs. Everyone is welcome.
• Mt. View Pentecostal Holiness Church, 497 Hatchers Chapel Road, in Claudeville, Virginia, (one-half mile from Lee’s Kargo, on the left) will hold its annual Youth Yard Sale on Aug. 30 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Items for sale too numerous to mention. A hot dog lunch also will be available between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. All proceeds go to the Youth Activities Fund.
• Vessels of Clay will hold a free concert on Aug. 30 at 6 p.m. in Gilmer Smith Park, 615 N. Main St., in Mount Airy. Bring your lawn chairs. Everyone is welcome.
• Pilot Mountain Friends Meeting, located on Main Street, will offer a concert featuring The Kinders gospel group on Aug. 31 starting at 6 p.m. For more information, call 374-6090.
• White Plains Friends Meeting, Old Highway 601, will have its weekly AWANA program Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m. for children ages 2 through eighth grade. Dinner will be provided. For more information, call the church office and leave a message at 789-1671.
• The GAP Storehouse has opened on Hodges Mill Road, Dobson, offering new and used items for sale. It is open by appointment Wednesday through Saturday by calling Pastor K. Dobson at 648-1951. All proceeds will benefit the GAP church building fund. Donations and contributions are welcome.
• Marantha will be providing free meals Friday nights at 512 W. Pine St., Mount Airy.
• First Presbyterian Church of Mount Airy, South Main Street, will have Sandwich Saturdays the first Saturday of each month from 11:30 a.m. to noon. Bag lunches will include a sandwich, chips, apple and bottled water.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church has a prayer meeting open to the community on Thursdays at 10 a.m. in the fellowship hall. The primary purpose is to pray for the nation, state, county, churches and pastors.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact email@example.com or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at 336-926-2293.
• The Pilot View UMC at 659 Pilot Church Road in Pinnacle has a Bible meeting every Wednesday at 10 a.m.
• The Pilot View UMC at 659 Pilot Church Road in Pinnacle has a fellowship meal every third Sunday of the month at 5:30 p.m.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.
• Bible Study — Love in Action Ministries with Pastor George Hiett — will be held at 2037 Rockford St. in Mount Airy (right beside Walgreen in the New Century Church Building) every Tuesday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. This is an ongoing event. For more information, call 407-4907 for further information.
• Imogene Baptist Church will hold a Community Meal every Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. Free to all. For more information, call 401-2010.
• Imogene Baptist Church will hold a Soup Kitchen Mondays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Free to all. For more information, call 401-2010.
•Redemption Gospel Mission, located on Westfield Road at the corner of Reeesmill Road, offers a free lunch daily from noon to 3 p.m. Services are given at 11 a.m. on Sundays, 5 p.m. on Sundays, and at 6 p.m. on Thursdays. Sunday School Services are given at 10 a.m. on Sundays. For more information, call Bro. Benny Faw at 429-8712.
• The ladies from Friendly Chapel Church of Pilot Mountain are selling handmade quilts for $30 and up to benefit the local nursing homes. All size quilts are available, in many designs, including college football teams and NFL football teams. For more information, call 789-5411 or 971-4062.
• The Ararat Missionary Baptist Church, 211 Jones School Road, in Mount Airy will hold a service in the cafetaria of the Jones Family Resource Center at 11 a.m. on the first and the third Sunday of every month. For more information, call Edward McDaniels at 789-3172 or at 710-9742 (cell).