Central soccer shuts out North Surry 8-0

By Jeff Linville

April 14, 2014

Surry Central beat North Surry 8-0 in soccer Monday.

The Lady Eagles scored four goals in the first 21 minutes and led 5-0 at the half against the rival Lady Greyhounds.

Central improved to 8-1-1 on the season, but this was just the team’s first conference win in the Western Piedmont. The Eagles tied with South Stokes 1-1 last week. Other matches were postponed because of the weather.

Still 1-0-1 puts the Eagles in second place in the standings behind West Stokes (3-0, 15-1 overall), which averages more than six goals per game.

Forbush is 9-3-1 and South Stokes is 8-3-2, but both have suffered a conference loss and stand in third and fourth places in the conference.

North Surry is in last place at 0-12, 0-2 in the conference. Carver doesn’t field a girls soccer team.

In Monday’s game, the Eagles got on the board quickly.

In the third minute Emilee Stanley scored off a corner kick from Sarah Bruce.

One minute later, Laura Dobbins also scored off a corner kick from Bruce.

In the 18th minute, Tess Dockery, back after a two-game suspension, fed the ball to Haylee Harrison who sent a soft flick around the keeper for a 3-0 lead.

About three minutes later, Harrison chased down a long pass on the right side and drew the defense. She centered the ball to Kelsey Taylor, who scored with a hard shot off the fingertips of the keeper.

Taylor has missed some time with injuries this season; she and Dockery were both out for the 1-1 tie with South Stokes last week.

In the 26th minute, Harrison scored the final goal of the first half to make it 5-0.

In the second half, the Eagles mixed in some reserves with the starters, but still managed to control the ball well, said Coach Matt Richardson.

Freshman Mirian Hernandez hasn’t had a lot of playing time this season, but she scored twice in this one, the coach said.

Hernandez scored the 6th goal in the 48th minute, then finished the scoring with a goal off a Harrison corner kick with 15 minutes left.

In between those scores, Taylor got her second goal in the 57th minute.

The Eagles have two tough matches coming up.

They continue league play Wednesday at Forbush.

“This is a big test for us, a game we’ve been looking forward to,” said Richardson.

Then on Monday the Eagles face the conference-leading Lady Wildcats, who beat Forbush 2-0 last week.

The Hounds travel to South Stokes Wednesday, then host Forbush on Monday.