mtairynews.com

Fire heavily damages house in Westfield area

By Tom Joyce tjoyce@civitasmedia.com

April 12, 2014

PILOT MOUNTAIN — A blaze that originated from a water stove caused heavy damage Saturday afternoon to a home in the South Westfield community.

About 30 firefighters from three volunteer departments converged at 615 Armstrong Road after the incident was reported around 2:30 p.m. They encountered heavy smoke from the brick ranch-style structure located in a residential development off Old U.S. 52 South.

The fire started in a garage adjoining the house, which allowed flames to penetrate the attic and spread elsewhere. Exterior damage was visible along the entire front portion of the structure.

It is owned by Amy Edwards, but the house was unoccupied at the time. Edwards’ son Jonathan said she only stays there sporadically.

He was there Saturday afternoon and had been busy trying to get a lawn mower ready to mow the grass.

Meanwhile, some materials were burning in the water stove located in the garage area and Jonathan Edwards believes warm dry conditions helped cause an enormous buildup of heat that caught the house on fire.

“It was just unfortunate,” he said while watching firefighters douse smoky spots with a hose about 45 minutes after the blaze started. But Edwards was glad no one was hurt, although a cat that stays on the premises was unaccounted for at last report.

No damage figure was given.

Members of the Bannertown, Westfield and Pilot Knob volunteer fire departments responded, with the Surry County Emergency Medical Service and Pilot Mountain Rescue Squad standing by.

Tom Joyce may be reached at 336-719-1924 or on Twitter @Me_Reporter.