February 20, 2014
Firefighters responded to the scene of a structure fire in Mount Airy Wednesday, which reportedly burned one occupant of a home on Fancy Gap Road. Mount Airy Fire Department Assistant Chief Chris Fallaw said the initial call was received around 10:06 p.m. by a member of the department who lives near the residence and was alerted to the fire by the sound of an explosion.
Fallaw said first responders arrived on the scene minutes later to find the single story home engulfed in smoke and flames. Investigators said the owner of the home reported he had been cooking french fries when a grease fire broke out. Authorities reported the homeowner said he did not have a lid to put out the flame and tried to move the fire outside which was unsuccessful, as were his efforts to use a blanket to extinguish the blaze.
Authorities said the home was destroyed with one civilian suffering a burned hand. Fallaw said a small child who lived in the home was unharmed. He said the burn victim refused medical treatment and transport to the hospital.
Other fire departments on the scene included Franklin Volunteer Fire Department with Four Way and Bannertown Departments on standby. Surry County Emergency Medical Services, Mount Airy Rescue Squad and Mount Airy Police Department also helped at the scene.
The incident is under investigation by Fallaw and fire captains Trey Leonard, Danny Vipperman and Jody Seaver.