RB Koons leads Cards to 20-10 win over Bears in playoffs

Jeff Linville Staff Reporter

November 22, 2013

East Surry broke open a defensive struggle with two long touchdowns in the second quarter on the way to a 20-10 win over Mount Airy Friday night.

The Cardinals (11-2) advanced to the third round of the state 1AA playoffs and will travel to West Montgomery next Friday to face the Warriers.

The Cards picked up nearly 300 yards on the ground with Lucas Koons getting most of that on 30 carries, including all three touchdowns.

The night didn’t start well for Koons as he fumbled the ball on the first play of the game.

The Bears recovered, but couldn’t advance and settled for a Mitchell Brown 30-yard field goal for a 3-0 lead less than two minutes into the game.

Late in the first quarter the Bears put together their longest drive of the night.

Starting at their 5-yard line, the Bears used Shay Wilson and Andrew Jones to move the ball downfield with a short pass thrown in from Logan Holder to Kordell France.

On the last play of the first quarter, Wilson picked up a first down, but then fumbled. East Surry recovered on its own 21-yard line.

To start the second quarter, Koons took a handoff up the middle and burst into the clear. He raced 79 yards to the end zone for a 7-3 lead with 11:48 left in the second.

The Bears had a three-and-out and punted back to East Surry.

The Cards started on their 34-yard line with fullback Casey Marion picking up 10 yards in two running plays for a first down. Two plays later at the Bears’ 42, Koons again broke free for a long TD run to make it 13-3 with 7:01 in the half. The extra point was blocked.

The two teams exchanged punts to end the quarter.

The Bears received the ball to open the second half. Wilson picked up a first down with a couple of runs, then the Bears came up a yard short on third-and-2 and chose to punt.

East Surry took over on its 30-yard line, but a chop block moved it back to second-and-25 from the 15.

Koons swept around the left end and raced up the sideline 36 yards for a key first down. Koons and Marion picked up yards on the ground, plus five yards for a face mask penalty. Then Koons scored from 20 yards out to make it 20-3 with 4:07 left in the third.

After each team had two empty possessions, the Bears took over at their 45-yard line in the fourth quarter.

On a third-and-10 play, Wilson took a handoff around the left end and flew up the sideline for a 55-yard touchdown run to make it 20-10 with 8:13 left.

The Cards’ defense stopped the Bears on two possessions, and then the offense ran out the clock.

Koons had 30 carries for 258 yards and three TDs. Marion, J.T. Lichtenberger and quarterback John Dickenson added another 36 yards combined on the ground.

After the Cards threw a couple of interceptions in the last meeting, Coach David Diamont went conservative with his passing game, throwing only three times. The one completion went for 23 yards.

Wilson finished with 178 yards on 24 carries and the only Bear TD. After rushing for more than 300 yards two weeks ago, the Bears managed 206 in this game.

Holder completed just 4-17 passing for 32 yards.